Four Grain Vattings.................gooood whiskey!!

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Four Grain Vattings.................gooood whiskey!!

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:05 pm

TNbourbon's review of the BF four grain bourbon led me to pull out my three vattings of four grain bourbons. They are as follows:

(1) 40% William LaRue Weller at 121.9 proof; 40% Russell's Reserve at 90 Proof; and 20% Bernheim at 90 proof. Final proof 102.76.

(2) 33.3% Stagg (spring 2005 outside KY release) at 131.8 proof; 33.3% Maker's Mark at 90 proof; and 33.3% Evan Williams 1783 at 86 proof. Final proof 101.57.

(3) 16.5% William LaRue Weller at 121.9 proof; 16.5% Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye at 95.3 proof; and 66.6% Bernheim Wheat Whiskey at 90 proof. Final proof 95.3.

The first and last of these are my own concoction, while the Stagg, MM, and EW vatting came courtesy of JoeBourbon and his friend Ron.

My dog Barleycorn calculated the final proofs. I gave him an expensive graphing Texas Instruments calculator for his birthday and he carries it with him everywhere he goes now..........he converted (without my permisssion, I might add) an old holster for a case and looks for all the world like he has armed himself, but that bothers him not. Now I think about it, that damn dog has had TWO birthdays this year............damn his time, he put one over on me again!!

Tasting notes on the Four Grain Vattings

(1) WLW, RR, and Bernheim

Nose: Corn, vanilla, sniff of leather, wild flowers, mild citrus, ripe peaches, and caramel. The nose is quite sweet and somewhat delicate. Very nice!

Taste: Ripe fruit, vanilla, corn, and peppery spice that blend together very well. A viscous and creamy taste that is very pleasing.

Finish: A moderate finish with the sweetness tugging back and to with the spice, neither being able to subdue the other.

Overall: A very pleasing whiskey that has good balance, taste, complex flavors. I would give it a grade of B+

(2) Stagg, MM, and EW

Nose: Rye warmth, oak, corn, dried apricots, leather, vanilla, pecans and pecan shells. A nose that is very rich and complex with lots of character.

Taste: Corn sweetness, vanilla, caramel followed by well mannered spices. The mouthfeel is viscous, rich, and creamy, with balanced and complex flavors. As good to the mouth as it was to the nose.

Finish: A long finish with the spice just nudging out the sweetness, but both holding on to give great bourbon satisfaction.

Overall: As JoeBourbon and friends have found in their tastings, this is a very, very, good vatting. It retains the best qualities of the Stagg (the richness and complexity) while moderating the high alcohol. Stagg anchors this bourbon beautifully. Grade of A+

(3) WLW, VWFRR, and Bernheim

Nose: Over ripe fruit (a good overripe), straw/dried grass, vanilla, oak, cinnamon. A dry nose that is almost delicate and light.

Taste: Corn sweetness, spices (especially cinnamon). subtle flavors that are difficult to identify because they are very delicate..........but quite nice.

Finish: Moderate to short finish where sweet prevails over spice.

Overall: A delicately balanced bourbon that is just on the light side but very flavorful none the less. Grade A-
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby MikeK » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:38 pm

Aww gee, I guess I'll go vat me up a glassful if you insist...

I tried out #2, because happily you rated it the best AND I have those ingredients open. Well almost. I don't have any Makers Mark, so I substituted a 1970 vintage Old Fitz Prime.

Good call Gentlemen, that is a very nice drink. They marry very well with no problems. Mike's notes are right on the mark too.

Thanks for the ideas; I'm going to mix up another one right now just to make sure I liked it!
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Thanks for the nice words guys. I keep telling Ron it's gonna be hard to top his original 4 grain...........and to date, he has not. But he keeps trying.
Joe :)
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings