Single Barrel Weller 12 (14) yo

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Single Barrel Weller 12 (14) yo

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:38 pm

Charles Miller works at the Louisville Zoo. He is very involved in fund raising for his favorite charities such as the Louisville Zoo, Ducks Unlimited and other animal based non-profit organizations. He is also a member of the Bourbon Society. He recently purchased a barrel of Stitzel-Weller bourbon from Buffalo Trace. The barrel was made on 29 June 1992. The doors closed on the distillery on 30 June 1992. This is one of the last barrels of Stitzel-Weller bourbon made and it was bottled on 14 August 2006. It was bottled at 90 proof Weller 12 yo. Charles is going to use the bottles as fund raising items for his favorite charities either as auction items or tasting events.

I had the oportunity to sip some of this whiskey last night and I found it to be quite good. Here is what I remember of the taste of this whiskey:

Nose: Rich caramel and hazelnut with just a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Very smooth but a bit thin. I would have prefered this at 100 proof as Weller Centennial. Caramel and wood with that hint of chocolate and ripe fruit - apples and dates.

Finish: A bit of sweet caramel with lots of oak flavor, but not too much tannin. Quite good.

Notes: Very good whiskey. I will have to go to one of the auctions and bid on a bottle.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm going to go slightly off course here, but still on halfway on topic. A local store around here picks out a number of barrels each year at BT. Last year they bottled a barrel of S/W as Centennial (14yo) at 100 proof. It was outstanding, easily one of the finest bourbons I have ever tasted. I wish in hind sight I had bought a few cases. This year they are offering a 13yo Centennial at 100 proof. This is obviously no longer S/W and bears no resemblence. It is a fine whiskey, but reminds me more of Eagle Rare or ETL. A nice pour, but no where close to the magic of the S/W. I have been resisting starting a thread to ponder the future flavor profile of the Van Winkle line. It will not be the same and I wonder how Julian will transistion.

Anyway, fully back on topic, the barrel in question for fund raising should be quite good and thus a great success for the charities.
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:27 pm

MikeK wrote: A local store around here picks out a number of barrels each year at BT. Last year they bottled a barrel of S/W as Centennial (14yo) at 100 proof.

Mike,
Is that the one from Ryan & Dennis?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:13 pm

JoeBourbon wrote:
MikeK wrote: A local store around here picks out a number of barrels each year at BT. Last year they bottled a barrel of S/W as Centennial (14yo) at 100 proof.

Mike,
Is that the one from Ryan & Dennis?
Joe

Joe,

Yes, that's it, I forgot I sent you one of those. That Eagle Rare-13 1.75L I brought down to the Sampler is from the same folks.
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings