Four Roses Small Batch

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:26 am

John,
What most companies pick for competitive tastings are Jim Beam, Jack Daniel's, Crown Royal and Early Times. The reason should be obvious - These are the biggest competitors in the market. That does not make them the best products but these are the brands most people know. What is the use of tasting against Pappy 20 when 999 out of a 1,000 people have never tasted it. Besides, it is hard not to have a well matured, reasonable proof product that does not have more or better taste than these products.

I did not make it to the Four Roses event because of work, but from talking to Brenda it sounds like they have the same type of tasting "library" as any other quality control lab I have seen in the industry. It is well stocked with the brands of all of the other distilleries. It is helpfull for the distillers to know what the competition is making. It is unusual for a distillery to invite the public into the lab for a tasting. Four Roses is showing a confidence in their product that is encouraging. I look for great things to come out of that distillery in the next decade.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:05 am

bourbonv wrote:John,
Four Roses is showing a confidence in their product that is encouraging. I look for great things to come out of that distillery in the next decade.

IMHO, great things (Four Roses Single Barrel) come from there now. In the old worn out Desert Island scenario, if I were told I could only take 4 bourbons, you can bet one would be FRSB, one would be a Van Winkle product, one a Wild Turkey product.............and the other, well, I would have to stew about that for a while.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 pm

I had this bourbon at the Bourbon's Bistro tonight. It is an excellent product. I have already posted tasting notes.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings