Old Forester Signature

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Forester Signature

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:22 pm

I just had lunch with Chris Morris and he passed on a bottle of the Old Forester Signature to me. This is a repackaging of Old Forester 100 proof so that it will stand out as being something different from the 86 proof Old Forester. I am not expecting a great change flavor profile, which is fien with me since Old Forester 100 proof has always been one of my favorite bourbons, but I will do a a review later.

Just to let you know, there will be a tasting event of old Old Forester 100 proof bourbon and sneak preview of this year's Birthday Bourbon and Old Forester Signature at the Filson on August 24. I will post the details when they are all worked out. Chris is hoping Chuck Cowdery will be available for the event as well, so the panel would be, Chris Morris, Myself and hopefully Chuck.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:43 am

Since Chuck is on board for this event I will ask people who want more information to refer to his post in the "Bourbon Expeditions" for more information. During lunch with Chris we discussed the bourbons to be tasted and how the event will flow. We are looking to start the tasting at 6:30 but the doors to the Filson open at 9:00 am and I am sure will stay open until after the event. If you come to town or live here and want to come early and see more of the Filson, please feel free to do so. We have a great exhibit of local artist Mary Cobb that includes a portrait of Robinson Brown for those wishing to see the the exhibit. Our rooms are filled with paintings from Kentucky artist and portraits of famous Kentuckians. The dining room has a portrait of Zachary Taylor, the Stairwell has a large portait of his Vice-President Millard Fillmore. Vice President and Confederate General J C Breckinridge hangs next to my desk on the third floor.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:41 pm

I had forgotten all about this 'repackaging' Mike and while down here in VA thought at first wow, they have a new product out. Then I read the bottle and was like wait a minute, its just the 100 proof version. Anyways, it's all over the place down here, selling for $23.50 which i think is more than it used to sell for when it was just old forester 100 right? Also, I am shocked to see every base i went to down here selling this years Birthday Bourbon. And at a modest $33, not bad at all... unfortunately the shelves are full of it so I wonder if they are just making more of it nowadays or if its just not a great seller... Any word Mike if BB is something that makes them enough profit to keep doing every year?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:54 pm

Mark,
The Old Forester Signature was repackaged to give people a way to distinguish it from 86 proof Old Forester besides talking proof. It was also a way to move the brand up a notch on the quality and price scale. Chris Morris says they are using a little bit more aged bourbon in the Signature than the old 100 proof package and both have longer aged whiskey than the 86 proof.

The Birthday Bourbon has been a hit in the market. It sells well and as far as I have heard, they are making money on the product. This year's is good bourbon but not a great different in taste from last year's version. If you find it for a good price, I would pick up a bottle or two.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings