Michters sour Mash

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Michters sour Mash

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:58 pm

The review Joebourbon did on the old Michters is very good. I do have a question for you Joe, When say fruit, what kind of fruit? Is it ripe fruit like ripe apple or pear? Or dark fruit like berries, dates or raisins? Or something more along the line of peaches or apricots? I realize this might force you back for another sample, but I am hoping to twist your arm into doing just that.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:39 pm

Yes, I enjoyed it too. Sounds like the rye is causing or contributing to the estery effects since it is 38% of the mash in that product (see Michael Jackson's World Guide To Whisky, 1988). I wonder though (as we have discussed so often here) if long storage in the container has done something to it, if it did, it sounds like it was for the better!

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:44 am

The fruity notes mentioned were more of the cherries, peaches, apricots variety. I believe this to be the "fruitiest" whiskey I've ever tried. I don't remember past Michters being quite so fruity. Perhaps Gary is correct that long term storage in the decanter had something to do with it. It has been decanted into a glass container with a screw cap.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:14 pm

I recently acquired another Michter's decanter. This was the "Pot Still" decanter from I believe 1976. It contains 101 proof sour mash. I have decanted it into a glass container. The whiskey looks to be in pristine condition. When I get around to it I'll taste it and report in the review section. I was happy that it was 101 because I understand that this is much more rare than the 86. I'll keep you posted.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings