Limited NY Bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Limited NY Bourbon

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu May 25, 2006 12:52 am

Here's a preview pic of a little whiskey coming to market. This may well be New York's first bourbon since Prohibition.[/img]
Attachments
Baby Bourbon long 2 Front 060516.pdf
(487.63 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu May 25, 2006 12:56 am

OK. I'm a dumbass and can't figure out how to do a pic. Sorry for the tease. Be back later sometime when I've got a technical genius at my side.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Strayed » Thu May 25, 2006 1:35 am

Dear (and I do mean that sincerely) D.A....

Try this :lol:
Attachments
Hudson.jpg
This is the label LeNell was trying to show us...
Hudson.jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 10721 times
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 25, 2006 7:44 am

VERY cool. This is not just the first bourbon coming to market from New York since Prohibition, but the first ever (if I am not mistaken) bourbon to be produced anywhere by a modern craft (small scale) producer. Baby bourbon is a great name, too. Wonder how the 100% corn mash works, maybe part was malted (or even all).

When does it go on sale? Where? How much?

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu May 25, 2006 1:11 pm

No small grains LeNell? Just corn?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu May 25, 2006 1:45 pm

100% corn they tell me, 3 months in Missouri oak 3 gallon barrel. 375ml, only 20 bottles for first release $100 estimated.
tlsmothers

Unread postby Strayed » Thu May 25, 2006 2:21 pm

Chuck Miller of Belmont Farm (Virginia Lightning/Copper Fox) told us he uses only corn, including malted corn. All of it is grown by him and his immediate neighbors.

Also, the Old Gristmill from Tuthilltown is 100% corn (i.e., no barley)

Considering that no one in Kentucky grows barley (unlike New York or Pennsylvania, Kentucky isn't known for its beer breweries), I've often been curious as to the legitimacy of the farmer/distiller myth as applied to bourbon. There's plenty of evidence that COMMERCIAL bourbon distillers, following their Maryland rye forbears (and Dr. Crow) used malted barley to start the mash going, but they bought that barley from out of state and had it shipped in, same as they do now.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu May 25, 2006 3:03 pm

John,
Actually there was a fairly good brewing industry in Louisville and Lexington with several regional brands. They also grew barley here in Kentucky, but the best barley came from out of state - less wild onion and such in the grain. E H Taylor, Jr. purchased his malt from a Lexington malting house that also supplied the local brewers in the 1870's.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 25, 2006 3:16 pm

3 months or 3 years..? Wouldn't the label have to say if it is less than 4 years?

Also, on the Tuthillhill web site they speak of a whiskey which combines corn, wheat and rye whiskies and I thought it said this was 3 years old and being released in October.

I wonder if the distillery may be releasing more than one type of bourbon. Whatever the case, this development is exciting and kudos to Lenell's for being a part of it.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu May 25, 2006 3:50 pm

My understanding is that the label doesn't need an age statement for less than 4 years old if it's not a "straight bourbon."
tlsmothers

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 pm

Okay I didn't realise that.

I think too any whiskey aged in a relatively small container would age faster than in a much larger one, so the keg size used for this bourbon might equate at 3 months to, say, 3 years or more in a large barrel. I tasted some rebarreled whisky at Sampler, in which small containers were used and was surprised how much barrel character was imparted in just a few months.

On the distillery website for Baby Bourbon I am sure I read (I checked again) that it comprises corn, rye and barley (not wheat). Also it referred to a rich color so evidently even a few months imparts normal bourbon color. Impressive. However I think I see now that with something aged a few months and which qualifies as bourbon, the distillery might be using different mashes. Certainly a 100% corn mash is bourbon if aged for a time in new charred wood and distilled at up to 160 and entered at not over 125 proof and clearly this new product was. I imagine the result will be very close to some bourbons sold in the 1800's, what a development this is for bourbon connoisseurs! $100 per bottle is very reasonable for a product like this.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Thu May 25, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu May 25, 2006 4:33 pm

Gary, what you read about is what they are currently working on, not what will be the first release. The first release is all corn. The color in just three months is around the color of a 4 year old bourbon due to the tiny barrels.

We'll later be organizing a weekend getaway to go play at the distillery. If I had the money & time, I'd buy the dang house and gristmill on the property that's for sale.http://www.tuthilltown.com/contact.htm#Millsale
tlsmothers

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Okay thanks LeNell, that's what I thought and I appreciate the clarification. This is a craft product par excellence and one expects such experimentation (as with fine micrbreweries).

I can't wait to try the LeNell's bottling and am excited for the store and for the bourbon connoisseur market, this is great news.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 25, 2006 4:41 pm

My last post went in twice and so I'll edit and use the space to say that I tip my hat to the entrepreneurs of America. The spirit I get from this venture is similar to what I felt when the first microbreweries came onstream, they were a shot in the arm for the industry and their impact reverberates to this day.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby gillmang » Thu May 25, 2006 4:46 pm

Lenell one more thing: if you organise that visit to the distillery please let me know, I'd love to go if outsiders are allowed on the trip.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Next

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings