Old Grand Dad 114

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Grand Dad 114

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 23, 2006 12:05 pm

I was looking at MikeK's excellent review of Old Grand Dad 114 just now and was impressed with his tasting notes. I am curious to know Mike, how do you think this product stacks up next to the other Old Grand Dad expressions? I think my personal preference is the bottled-in-bond 100 proof version. I find the same fruitiness and spice without as much alcohol burn.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Tue May 23, 2006 6:11 pm

Thanks Mike. I'm always impressed when I have a pour of the 114. It is so different and so good. I haven't done much serious tasting with the other expressions. I did try a miniature of the 100BIB once and didn't care for it as much. But that is not really fair since I like to go through most of a bottle before writing formal notes. It's tough work, but I accept the challenge.

I remember one of the professional whiskey writers preferred the 100 BIB as well. Given your similar comments I should pick up a 750 and give it a fair go.

Cheers!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:21 pm

1) Is there a general consensus or inside scoop on how old the OGD products are?

2) Mike V (or anybody), if you dilute 114 to 100 proof, how close is it in flavor profile to the BIB?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:19 pm

IMO, Dave, it's very close, and (more or less in flavor) 14 points over Beam Black. Increasingly, I find all the Beam-made bourbons share a similar, strong cereal-rye flavor.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:03 am

Dave,
It is going to similar but not the same. It should be remembered that the higher the proof, the less filtering they have to do, so more flavor stays in the product. When adjusting to 100 proof, that extra flavor will still be there making it taste different than the 100 bottled in Bond. The 114 is also a non-bonded product so it could be a mixture of ages so that too will effect the final flavor.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Old Grand Dad 114

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:56 am

bourbonv wrote:I am curious to know Mike, how do you think this product stacks up next to the other Old Grand Dad expressions? I think my personal preference is the bottled-in-bond 100 proof version. I find the same fruitiness and spice without as much alcohol burn.

Mike Veach

OK Mike, as promised I picked up some 100 proof and pondered its virtues over several evenings. It is very nice, I would not hesitate to have this again in the future. There is no mistaking that unique OGD nose and flavor. Everyone should try this product line, it really is something different and special.

For this round I have to give the nod to the 114. Inexplicably I find the 114 has less alcohol burn on the nose and palate. I also feel that it has more nuances to the flavor. I recently found a lonely old pre-Beam bottle of 114 on a store shelf. I look forward at some point to comparing this bottle to the current version.

Cheers!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:50 pm

Hey, Mike(K), did you ever do this side by side? If so, what were your impressions?

Also, when was 114 introduced?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings