Heaven's bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Heaven's bourbon

Unread postby Mike » Tue May 09, 2006 4:41 pm

While I may not be among the select (no snickering in the peanut galary please), those of you who will find themselves in the sweet hereafter will no doubt be treated to WT 12 YO (see my just posted review of this EXCEPTIONAL bourbon).

I am sure that Mr Jimmy Russel is responsible for this masterpiece of the distiller's art. I hope someday I will be able to meet this gifted man.

For the adventurous among you, I can report that there is a bottle of WT 12 YO waiting for you in Cumberland KY in the beer/liquor store across the alley from Tucker's Whiskey Dispensery. Tucker's had two bottles of the WT 12 YO and I bought both for $40 each. But the guy next door has a bottle of WT 12 YO which was still there when I left...........foolish me! There is also a couple of bottles of the Four Roses Single Barrel there too.

Believe me when I say that I am tempted to drive the 350 odd miles back to Cumberland to get both the WT 12 YO and another bottle of Four Roses (I bought two of them)!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Strayed » Thu May 11, 2006 9:36 pm

Mike, I don't know exactly what you mean by "the select", but of all the Bourbonenthusiast folks we wished we could have met at the Sampler (including Mark and seeing Chris again), we most missed the chance to hang out with you for awhile. If you ever have a chance to be in the Cincinnati area, PLEASE contact us. We have both versions of WT12, the gold label and the newer one. We would LOVE to share them with you.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby Mike » Sun May 14, 2006 5:46 pm

I am very flattered by your remarks, and I would love to spend time with y'all waxing eloquent (you, more than me cause you know more and cause I can't wax eloquent for long before I start to stink) about bourbon and in particular WT12.

I would love to compare the two WT12 releases. Cincinnati is only about 8 hours from Atlanta. I know cause I used to travel to Columbus regularly.

One of these days I will make a trip thataway and maybe go back through Louisville to visit the newest inductee to the Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Fame. That Bourbon's Bistro sounds like quite a place, and going in with Mike Veach would be like riding with the King!
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun May 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Mike,
If you ever get to Louisville, dinner at the Bistro is my treat.

I think the thing I love most about bourbon and ryes is the fact that every experience can be a new one. Mike is proclaiming his love for the Wild Turkey 12yo right now but I I am willing to bet that if he had a bottle of Old Rip 15 yo and took a drink of it under the same conditions (time of the year, time of the day etc.) he would probably be thinking "Wild what? This stuff is the best ever!" I know I am that way with Weller Centennial - there is nothing better on a cold morning with a little snow blowing in the air and you want something to warm you up. Best bourbon in the world under those circumstances. Old Fitzgerald bottled in bond does the same thing when I am sitting on a bank of the lake at about 11:00 at night with a campfire burning down and the catfish are biting. No better bourbon in the world!

Mike, as you taste more and more bourbons, you will find that you actually have many "favorites" and it all really depends upon what you are doing at the time. Wild Turkey 12yo is a very good bourbon and a very enjoyable pour, but don't be suprised if you buy a bottle of something else that just seems to fit the occasion perfectly and leaves you with another favorite.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Sun May 14, 2006 6:14 pm

I know you are right, Mike and I have said as much my own self. I am one of those people who, when they enjoy something, really enjoy it, but will go off on some other tangent before long!

A bit like crying 'Wolf' too often. I have been told that I am not a very discriminating person.........got too many likes but not enough dislikes.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:38 pm

Well y'all, it has been four months since I said WT 12 YO was 'Heaven's Bourbon'. Now, I like all kinds of spirits and beers and thank God I don't have to choose which is best, cause I have the luxury of choosing from among many based on my particular taste at that moment.

That said, I will still assert that if you want to taste the quintessential bourbon (in my opinion, of course), you can do no better than Austin Nichols Wild Turkey 12 YO bourbon. Unfortunately, it can be found only occasionally in the out of the way places.

It has that perfect combination of creamy sweetness and spice that tells you what distinquishes bourbon from all other spirits in an emphatic and memorable way.

To quote that illustrious fellow, TNBourbon, again, 'If you come across a bottle of WT 12 YO, don't ever pass it up, just don't'!!
Mike

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:55 pm

Mike wrote:To quote that illustrious fellow, TNBourbon, again, 'If you come across a bottle of WT 12 YO, don't ever pass it up, just don't'!!

Well put and worth reiterating!

The only WT 12 yo in our bunker is a testament to the grand beneficence of one TNBourbon, who acquired it for us. He may not pass up Heaven's Bourbon, but he's always willing to share his good fortune.

THANKS, TIM! :cheers:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:34 pm

angelshare wrote:
Mike wrote:To quote that illustrious fellow, TNBourbon, again, 'If you come across a bottle of WT 12 YO, don't ever pass it up, just don't'!!

Well put and worth reiterating!

The only WT 12 yo in our bunker is a testament to the grand beneficence of one TNBourbon, who acquired it for us. He may not pass up Heaven's Bourbon, but he's always willing to share his good fortune.

THANKS, TIM! :cheers:

I have had the same experience with Tim's absolute unselfishness. This one's for you Tim.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:01 am

Dave/Tina, Joe -- you are too kind. Nothing less than extreme selfishness could account for not wanting to share common joys, and y'all have heightened my own enjoyment of our wonderful national spirit by your congenial savoring of samples I, myself, find noteworthy.
It is an accident of geography that I am occasionally privileged to acquire some bottled gems, and how would I test my own convictions about them if I could not compare them with the opinions of the likes of you guys?
Joy only becomes joy when shared -- and you have provided such joy with your own opinions and offerings. To you, my thanks.
TNbourbon

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:36 pm

Well, me and my vet (who is my medical advisor and claims to be doing me a favor by treating me like a dog) will be having a falling out. I have exceeded my 50 ml every other day limit on this day. I have had a few 'other' sips and just could not leave the WT 12 YO alone today.

In case you thought you would catch me napping, I still can report that if there is a better (note that I did not say superior to) bourbon than the WT 12 YO please report it immediately to the BOURBON COUNCIL ON EXTREME EXCELLENCE who will pass it along to me so that I can amend my wayward bourbon ways within the next 20 or so years of my expected projected lifetime.

Shit y'all, this bourbon is too good! In my judgement, it has everything a great bourbon should have..............aroma, mama mia she gotta the great a smella...........taste, as good as collard greens and country ribs and cornbread cooked by my momma............finish, like a story told to you when you were a child by your grandfather that you wanted to never end.

One package, one bourbon, end of story. Am I a bourbonenthusiast? Has a cat got a ass?
Mike

Unread postby brendaj » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:38 pm

Shit y'all, this bourbon is too good! In my judgement, it has everything a great bourbon should have ... One package, one bourbon, end of story. Am I a bourbonenthusiast? Has a cat got a ass?

Yepper Mike, its absolutely in my top five. I've been a fan since the late 90's, when a friend (that used to drive a truck for Heaven Hill... :think: ) gave me a bottle for Christmas. Sadly, its getting pretty tuff to find, the last bottle I got my hands on was $60. Tim is a very wise man, you can't go wrong heeding his advice.

As for that cat thing...
the one's in Kentucky do... :lol:
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Mike » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:05 pm

brendaj wrote:Yepper Mike, its absolutely in my top five. Bj

Bj, be a dear and tell those of us who are waiting on the edge of our seats, what your OTHER favorite bourbons are.

And by the way, I see no reason to limit you to four more, or for that matter, to hold you to these choices beyond when the cows come home.
Mike

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings