A.H. Hirsch (long-term storage in bottles)

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

A.H. Hirsch (long-term storage in bottles)

Unread postby Keith » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:24 pm

I just bought a case of this, plus a bottle for drinking now, before I had ever tasted a sip, solely on the basis of what I had read here and elsewhere. I bought the full case, because I decided I should stock up before it is gone forever.

I have now had a finger or two, and I don't regret making the investment. I find it an exceptionally drinkable whiskey, with its fantastic palate and sublime, superlong finish. I regret that I didn't have the opportunity to try the earlier bottlings, but this one is good enough for me. I get a perverse thrill drinking something that was made when I was only three years old. And it will remain 16 years old forever, while I continue to age.

My question is: How should I store this stuff so that I can stretch out the good times for as long as possible? I'm thinking I want to crack open the last bottle in 30 years or so, when I retire. Should I just keep it in a box in a cool, dry place? Do I need to do anything else to protect it?

Thanks for the input.
Keith<p>
Central Kentucky
Keith

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:14 am

IMO storing it in a cool, dark place, bottles standing up, would be ideal.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 am

Now, Keith has his priorities right!!

Every time my dog, Barleycorn, gets a sip of the Hirsch, he says that is his favorite whiskey............but then he says that about ORVW 15 YO, Pappy 20 YO, BMH 21 YO, and several others.

Y'all remember that line from an old song that went 'If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with'?

Well, that is me and Barleycorn, we love the bourbon we be drinking!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mark » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:05 pm

It's a shame though that this last release of the 16yo just isn't as good as the wax ones were... Still Hirsch in taste yes, but fedinitely 'changed' from sitting so long in that stainless. Nonetheless, stocking up on some is a great idea. As was already said, cool dark place for storage and please stand em' up, don't let the bourbon touch the cork eg., laying them on their sides... It's not wine. Enjoy! :cheers:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings