Buffalo Trace to bottle and sell its "experiments"

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Buffalo Trace to bottle and sell its "experiments"

Unread postby Keith » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:00 pm

From Lexington Herald-Leader (April 24, 2006):

Buffalo Trace Distillery says it began experimenting 17 years ago and now has more than 1,500 barrels of one-of-a-kind bourbons aging in its Franklin County warehouses.

So the distillery has started bottling its experiments as the Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection. There will be no more than 400 bottles of the first three barrels, which will begin selling late this month for about $46.35 each.

The three varieties are French Oak (10 years in a French oak barrel), Twice Barreled (it was put in a new barrel after eight years and eight months) and Fire Pot Barrel (barrel was heated to 102 degrees before filling).

“We love to push the envelope of whiskey making,” says Harlen Wheatley, Buffalo Trace master distiller.
Keith<p>
Central Kentucky
Keith

Unread postby OscarV » Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 am

Has anyone seen any of these bottles on a store shelf?
And what was the asking price?

Thanks
Oscar
OscarV

Unread postby Art L » Wed May 31, 2006 11:22 pm

I haven't seen them on any store shelves, I did see them in a locked glass case with a sign that said SOLD across them once...
I was fortunate enough to know a liquor store that caters to their more gullible, I mean, better customers. :lol:

They offered them up as a set only and at $55 per bottle. I had heard that they should have been selling for around $45 each but in the interest of "experimentation" I plunked down the cash and took them home with me.

The French Oak is a very nice pour, sweet and light with a lot of subtle flavors. I haven't broken into the others as of yet.
Art L

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings