The pleasure of sharing first rate bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

The pleasure of sharing first rate bourbon

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:21 pm

I just got back from a trip to St Augustine, FL and then on to Savannah, GA. (see my post 'Bottling beer today' in the What Ales You forum for more on the beers we had on that trip).

While there I was able to provide one of my friends his first tast of WT Tribute and G T Stagg. He was blown away by both. This guy knows his bourbon and had been unable to get either in FL. He was excited about getting to try them.

He loved them both, but preferred the Stagg on that occasion.

I am scheduled to go to SE Kentucky along the WV border in about a month. I want to get some Stagg, Eagle Rare 17 YO, and some Buffalo Trace. Anybody know of any good liquor stores in SE KY? I know these are mostly small towns, e.g. Corbin, London, etc. but there must be some bourbon drinkers in that area.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:39 pm

Mike,
A large part of the state in that area is dry. You may have to drive north into Lexington to find a decent liquor store. If you feel really frisky, you may want to come on into Louisville. If you do. let me know and I will take you to the Bistro.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:03 pm

Mike,
Chuck's in Bowling Green (2 locations) has an unbelievable selection of Bourbon. It's well worth the drive. Both are just off I-65. Exit 28, I think is one.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:44 pm

This is not a trip I planned. I am going with two long time friends/coworkers, neither of whom are bourbon drinkers, although I have one of them showing some interest. There will, unfortunately, be no side trips just to get bourbon.

We are going to visit the coal mining areas of SE KY and SW WV and have a few coal mining museums in our sights. I have no relatives in the coal mines, nor do I even know any coal miners, yet I feel a kind of loose kinship with them.

At the Museum of Appaliachia just north of Knoxville, TN there is a coal mining exhibit with a very touching note from a trapped miner and his son who were doomed.

The father wrote to the mother that he and his son were OK as he wrote, but were 'perishing for air'. They did indeed perish, but the note was recovered. Having two sons myself, I can only guess at the agony that father lived through. To see that scribbled note is itself heartbreaking.

As you might have guessed, I recommend a trip to the Museum of Appalachia...........about 10 miles north of K'ville just off I-75.
Last edited by Mike on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:52 pm

JoeBourbon wrote:Mike,
Chuck's in Bowling Green (2 locations) has an unbelievable selection of Bourbon. It's well worth the drive. Both are just off I-65. Exit 28, I think is one.
Joe

Thanks for the info on Bowling Green, Joe. My wife and I are going to Shiloh battlefield in TN in May and then on to St Louis for about 5 or 6 days.

While there, we will go for a visit to Mark Twain's birthplace! He is my favorite American of all! The sense of humor, the skepticism, the love of alcohol...........the man was a genius!!

Anywayhow, I could stop off in BG on the way back from St Louis. I will make a note of Chuck's.
Mike

Unread postby BSS » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:41 pm

Are you going to Lynch to see Minw Portal No. 31 and to Benham to see the Kentucky Mine Museum?

That is a very different place from what I'm use to in Kentucky. I had to do some work down there and it seemed like I was in a different world, not just a different part of Kentucky.

And no, you will not find any liquor stores in SE Kentucky.
BSS

Unread postby BSS » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:45 pm

Joe that must be one hell of a liquor store in BG if it's worth a 3 hour drive.
BSS

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:02 pm

BSS wrote:Are you going to Lynch to see Minw Portal No. 31 and to Benham to see the Kentucky Mine Museum?

I believe both Lynch and Benham are on the itinarary. One of the guys I am going with has been there and is planning the trip and where we will be going. We will also be going to Matewan in WV...........a very interesting story there.
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:20 am

BSS wrote:Joe that must be one hell of a liquor store in BG if it's worth a 3 hour drive.

We drove up from Nashville and it was worth the drive.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:00 pm

Bowling Green has several good liquor stores. Just ask any bootlegger in the surrounding counties! Bowling Green is an Oasis of alcohol surrounded by a sea of desert dry counties.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings