Weller Centennial in a "Bourbon Heritage Collection&quo

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Weller Centennial in a "Bourbon Heritage Collection&quo

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:39 pm

I fear this might be an old question, but did not see an answer after a quick search.

My buddy Art and I picked up a pair of these gems yesterday. The bottle looks like a current centennial except for stating bottled in Louisville. It is in a cute purple-ish box stating "The Bourbon Herritage Collection".

There was also a Bourbon Heritage Collection Old Charter Proprietors Reserve on the shelf. I didn't pick it up because I like the 12yo "Classic 90" at 1/2 the price. If this older Proprietors is anything magical, let me know and I'll go back for it.

We opened one bottle of the Centennial. The cork was very fragile and had to be destroyed to get it all out. We poured the contents into another container, cleaned all the cork fragments out of the bottle, and then filled the bottle back up.

We did a side by side with a current Frankfort bottling. I found them to have a different flavor. To me, they were similar, both roughly as tasty, but definitely different.

I also noticed that one of my newer centennial bottles has very little stamped on the bottom, but these older bottles are made by "Clyde Forth Packaging Co, UK"

The question is of course, is there anyway to know what formula is in this bottle? Is it S/W, Bernheim, BT?

Thanks,
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:48 pm

Mike,
You have some of the original Heritage Collection bourbons and that is Stitzel-Weller bourbon. The bottle is stamped that way because when we designed the Heritage Collection at UD, we reused bottle designs and the Weller bottle is the same bottle used by Bell's Scotch in Great Britain.

I always liked the Charter 13 yo and you may want to get it for its collecting value since the bottle has changed design. It is a little more expensive than the Charter 12yo but it is a different taste profile.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:31 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the great info Mike. I'm glad I checked the stampings on the bottom of the bottle.

Has the process changed since UD for the Old Charter? i.e., would this Heritage bottle be any different (quality or taste)-wise than a current bottle?

If I go back for it I then must decide whether to drink it or perhaps bring it to the Gazebo for trading.

Thanks!
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:07 pm

The Old Charter would be Bernheim whiskey from before the rebuild. The Old Charter now is Buffalo Trace. They do taste different, but both are excellent.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings