Stagg I hate what you have done to me

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Stagg I hate what you have done to me

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:35 pm

Dear George T.

Now look what you have done.
Last night I revisited Booker’s – but you have ruined it for me. :(
This was actually the very first Bourbon I ever tasted, and I had been very fond of it since. I liked the high octane, lots of liquorice and lots and lots of taste.
Last night Booker’s felt like the schoolyard bully who takes your milk money. It felt like a Monster Truck squishing my taste buds – all because of you.
I have realized that what makes you great is not only the tons of flavours you pack, nor the great nose and high complexity. What really makes you great is your ability to control your high octane.
I’m an addict – I admit it. Now I have started a local ASA group (Anonymous Stagg Addicts).

Me: Hi my name is Thomas
Group: Hi Thomas
Me: I’m a Stagg addict
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby parshooter » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:00 pm

:lol: Very touching speech Thomas. I, too, love the Staggs. I don't think it has ruined any other bourbons for me yet. I have not had enough for that to happen. It is a special whiskey, for special times. Or just when I want something special. See you at a meeting later next year :oops: 8)
parshooter

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:59 am

It's a comfort to know, that I'm not the only one. But seriously, “going back” to Booker’s really made me realize how much my taste preference as well as my expectations of what a good Bourbon should be like have changed – within only a couple of months. In a way this is really a problem, cause I’m wondering whether I tried the “good stuff” too early.

Thomas - don’t feel to bad for me :wink:
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby parshooter » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:25 pm

I can relate this to my cigar habit/hobby. I have smoked some of the world's best cigars. Expensive cigars, by cigar-standards. They were very, very good. But, because of cost and availablilty, there is NO way they could be in the regular rotation. Do these make my "everyday" cigars seem less? No. So in a way, Stagg is like a Davidoff. I will always have some on hand, drink/smoke some when I feel the need, but I will always have "everyday" bourbons to drink on a regular basis 8)
parshooter

Unread postby Oregone » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:40 pm

I finally had the opportunity last night to taste Stagg (the newest bottling). I have not yet formulated a firm opinion, because I want to visit it more than once before I do, but as of today, it is not my favorite bourbon. Not that it isn't extremely good, mind you, but it just didn't hit me the same way that, say Van Winkle 15 y.o. or Four Rose Black Label or a few other bourbons did.

Part of my problem is that the high proof makes it difficult to drink neat. And adding a dab of water helped, but the bourbon still seems to me less complex than others I've had.

Maybe some Dr. Pepper . . .

:yawinkle:
Oregone

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings