I W Harper Bonded

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

I W Harper Bonded

Unread postby scratchline » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:35 pm

I came across some I W Harper Bottled in Bond at a low-end shop here in the LA area. These are old pints with a tax strip, but I didn't see any indication as to exactly how old. The name I W Harper is deeply stamped on the glass along the middle of the back face of the bottle.

I am eager to try it but....they were priced over 20 bucks. Is it just me or is this waaay toooo high? I intend to go back and talk to the owner and see if they are mispriced or if he would come down if I pick up several and maybe a few other things (including 2 bottles of PA distilled Old Overholt and 2 of 8 yr old WT). What's the concensus? How much should one be willing to pay for a pint of I W Harper BIB?

Thanks.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:20 pm

If they are pints (i.e. before 1979) and bonded from DSP 1 or 2, I would get them for that price. If they were from the late 1930's / early 1940's I would pay twice that price. Some of the best whiskey I ever drank was some I W Harper bonded, bottled in 1942 at 5yo.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby scratchline » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:37 am

Mike, they're definitely old, pre-metric, pints. I'll go back and take a closer look at them, but I doubt they're as old as that 5 yr. old from the forties. I'll see if they have any dsp # on them.

I really like the 4 yr old 86 proof Harper I picked up and I'd be very interested to try the BIB. I was just surprised to see it at such a premium price.

Most of the shop owners down here are willing to mark the older bottles down just to get them off the shelf. I've managed to pick up ND Old Grand-Dad 86, PA Old Overholt 86 and Old Forester BIB fifths for between 8 and 9 dollars a bottle. 1960's pints of Forester BIB and Yellowstone 86 for 5 bucks each. Makes it a little hard to spend 20+ for a pint of Harper.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:42 pm

As a pathological Harper enthusiast, I'd take it at that price just to try it.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings