Stirring the pot....Pappy 20 YO and Bushmills

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Stirring the pot....Pappy 20 YO and Bushmills

Unread postby Mike » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:38 pm

I am a diehard and incurable fan of Pappy 20 YO bourbon. It never fails to please me.

I have never pulled it out for a sip and said, 'Nah, this wasn't the right one for now'! I can get it for $79 a bottle and it is worth every penny to me. It has a sublety that the 15 YO Pappy lacks (and Pappy 15 YO is very, very, good bourbon.........I go back and forth as to whether it is the equal of the ORVW 15 YO, one of my all time favorites.....I am afraid the ORVW just edges it out as of my last comparison).

Now, to the matter at hand. I submit, for general discussion (and if you ain't interested, you ort to be) that lovers of Pappy 20 will find a relative in Bushmills 16 YO Irish Whiskey. It is a smooth, rich whiskey that was stored for most of it 16 years in bourbon barrels.

I think that has given the barley sweetness a bourbon nudge that has improved it significantly. Am I the only one to detect some residual rye in Bushmills (bourbon lovers tell me if I am way off here)?

Now, somebody on this forum has tried both and I soliict your opinion!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings