Strange Turkey 86.8 proof

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Strange Turkey 86.8 proof

Unread postby scratchline » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Since enjoying some mid-80's Old Grandad with Mike Veach, I have been on a quest for older bottlings of familiar brands. I have, alas, failed to locate the Grandad but have secured a bottle of Wild Turkey with a faux tax strip and a bottle stamp of '83. This 1.75 bottle has no age statement. I was wondering if anyone has any info on or memory of this bottling? Thanks in advance.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:43 am

Mike,
I am glad you enjoyed the Old Grand Dad and the Old Taylor and the George Dickel from the early to mid 1980's the other night. They are very nice whiskeys. I hope the roads were not too bad for your trip to Woodford Reserve and Bufallo Trace the next morning. It took me quite a while to make it to Bardstown due to the icy roads.

I have not heard of this version of Wild Turkey, but it should prove an interesting drink. Have you opened it yet?

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby scratchline » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:28 pm

No, Mike, I haven't opened the WT but I have a lot of it so maybe on my return from out west, I can stop through and pour you a sample.

That mid-eighties Old Grandad has given me a serious jones for some old UD whiskey. Bill preferred the Taylor, but for me Grandad was the star. No luck yet, although on my way out of Tennessee, I happened across a bottle of the IW Harper Bourbon Heritage bottling. I'd never seen that so I picked it up.

We had no trouble with the weather at all, but the folks at Woodford Reserve clearly did, since they were closed when we got there. But Buffalo Trace and Old Taylor in the snow were magical as was the drive back to Lawrenceburg on backroads.

Thanks again for a terrific time. And when I come back for HH and the Getz, I'll bring this bottle and give you a call.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Mike,
It sounds like a plan to me. If you want to sample some old Stitzel-Weller bourbon, I can help you do that. I have a few old bottles that I can spare a taste or two. Just let me know when you are back in this area.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings