Old Crow Chess Pieces

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Old Crow Chess Pieces

Unread postby Joeluka » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:01 am

Is the Old Crow 10yo bourbon in the old 60's chess pieces something that cant be missed??? I was wondering if anybody here has had it and what they think???

Happy Valentines Day!!!!! :hello2:
Joeluka

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:30 am

I have two pieces here at the store. In 2004, a few of us bourbon freaks went in together and bought a whole set. Thanks to Chuck who picked the dang thing up for us and brought it to Bardstown for us to distribute. Not bad at all. Some were a bit oxidized.

Stop by the shop and I'll pop mine open. We'll give 'em a while together.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:36 pm

I found a small stash of these at a local liquor store this past week. The poor things have been sitting on the shelf for 30+ years.

What year(s) were these decanters made? I read somewhere that thay were sold in 1969. Was it just for a year or so, or over a number of years?

The bourbon is 10yo, 86 proof, 4/5 quart. I bought one at first. The cork had to be destroyed to open it of course, but it appears to have had a solid seal. I filtered it through a screen and decanted into an empty bottle. The bourbon is not bad at all. It is very dark for 10 years. The first night I found it light and delicate on the palate, the second night it was a bit heavier. We'll see how it opens up as I get a little more into it. I do taste a faint bit of mustiness, but my buddy Art did not, so it may be just me. It is very tasty and drinkable.

Art and I went back to the store yesterday and we both picked up a decanter. I've attached a picture of one bottle in its case and another picture of the 3 decanters we now have.

I could bring a decanted bottle of this to the Gazebo if there is interest. I could also bring a whole full decanter for trading if anyone is interested and has something equally fun.

Cheers!
Mike
Attachments
old_crow_rook.jpg
old_crow_rook.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
Last edited by MikeK on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:39 pm

Here are the three we bought this past weekend; knight, bishop, and rook. The shortest of these is 13" tall.
Attachments
old_crow_set.jpg
old_crow_set.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby tlsmothers » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:45 pm

Good find! I wish I knew how to play chess. Amazing that they are still on the shelf somewhere, isn't it?
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:31 pm

Here is the full set, arrayed at the Gazebo in 2004. We were going to play a game, then we started drinking and that didn't seem like such a hot idea.

It was a shame to break up the set, but another way of looking at it is like a litter of puppies being adopted by a group of friends. It is yet another connection for our little 'family.'

We did sample one bottle at that time. I found it good, but nothing special.
Attachments
chess 2.jpg
chess 2.jpg (133.99 KiB) Viewed 6642 times
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings