Daniel Stewart

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Daniel Stewart

Unread postby miranda_stewart » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard Daniel Stewart bourbon, or if you would be importing it to sell.
My quest for this bourbon began 3 months ago when I discovered it existed. You see, my husband's name is DANIEL STEWART! and when I found it existed, I had to get it. I found it was distilled in Kentucky, Heaven Hills Distillery. However, when I contacted the Kentucky Bourbon Association, and Heaven Hills itself, I found that it was made for export only - and mainly to Japan at that. After many emails and searches worldwide, I finally found it from a guy in Germany. It cost more to ship it than the bourbon itself! But I just got it last weekend and my husband is in 7th heaven. I'd love to get more! Please let me know if you know of anywhere stateside that I could purchase.
miranda_stewart

Unread postby Mike » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Mrs. Stewart,

Sorry that you have received no replies in regard to your inquiry. I personally have never heard of Daniel Stewart bourbon and apparently neither have any other BE members. At least you were able to obtain one bottle for your obviously lucky husband.

Best wishes in your continuing search.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:59 pm

I just checked this in Jim Murray's 2005 Whisky Bible. The brand is export-only. He rates two Daniel Stewarts, one is 8 years old, one 12. The 12 got a 94 rating, very high indeed! The other rates in the late 80's, very respectable, so clearly he likes the brand. He states it is made by Heaven Hill of Bardstown, KY, America's only remaining independent, family owned bourbon distillery.

This explains why you only found it overseas. However if you buy the domestically available Elijah Craig 12 year old, made by Heaven Hill, you will probably taste a whiskey very close if not the same as what is in your Daniel Stewart bottle. Murray gave that one a similar very high rating. So when the Dan Stewart is exhausted and you can't get any more, pour the EC 12 year old in there. I am assuming your Dan Stewart is the 12 year old. But even if it is younger it will still be very good.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby miranda_stewart » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks, Yes, I have the 12 year bottle. There are actually 3 types made. The blue label is 12 year, the pink label is 8 year, and the white label is a 5 year, I think.
For a pic of the blue label, here is the link (I couldn't get it to just copy and paste)
http://wood-note.hp.infoseek.co.jp/dani ... %2012.html

For the pink and white labels:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/hiro4.s/ ... tewart.htm

I have spoke with Heaven Hills, too bad they couldn't comp me a bottle or 3 :twisted:

Thanks for your help,
Miranda
miranda_stewart

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings