A.H. Hirsch Blue Wax

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

A.H. Hirsch Blue Wax

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:38 pm

I just found a bottle of this blue wax A.H. Hirsch here in California.

I've seen the other foil top with a different label, but I've never seen this one.....can anyone tell me anything about it? Like, how rare etc. It says on the label that it was distilled in the spiing of 1974 so this 18 year old should make it a bottle from about 1992.

Is the bourbon inside any different than the Hirsch of today?

Here's a couple of pictures
Attachments
mini-100_1109.jpg
mini-100_1109.jpg (34.16 KiB) Viewed 7898 times
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Here's another pic of the Hirsch
Attachments
mini-100_1110.jpg
mini-100_1110.jpg (27.11 KiB) Viewed 7890 times
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:41 pm

I just realized that that bottle looks full to the cork with the Hirsch!

Actually the picture was taken with the bottle laying on its back...

If only we could have that little extra!!
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:34 pm

WHOOPS! I meant, 16 years old.....

Guess I was having the 18 year old Saz at the time!

So...this bottle is from 1990
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Mike » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:34 pm

It would be good if you sent that bottle to me and my dog Barleycorn. He considers himself a Hirsch expert. Who am I to quarrel with a dog that loves bourbon, can read, write (actually he can't write, he types) and cypher math better than his master?

Let us look into it, might just want to compare its contents to the contents of a foil top bottle we have laying about here somewhere.........probably in Barleycorn's room, but don't worry I duct-taped it good to keep him out of it.

P.S We would be willing to pay the postage.........here and back.......the package will cost a wee bit less on the return trip as the bottle will be a smidge lighter, that is after we do the proper comparisons. I would certainly expect there to be some left after our work.

I would send the Hirsch back by Barleycorn, but I don't really trust him alone with any bourbon.

I will send along a full report at no cost to you.
Last edited by Mike on Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:37 pm

My My! what a wonderful "service" you provide.....

BUT...I think I'll just hang on to this a while....with all the postage going up in price, and all :)
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:04 pm

I found a couple of those in 2000 in the back of a shelf in a local store... type in Hirsch in the box at the top of the screen and click 'find bourbon'... it's in the database as the '1st generation' Hirsch 16... I think that the whiskey is supposed to be the same as the gold foil and gold wax, but I have never tasted the two side by side, so i am not sure...
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:18 am

Thanks Chris....

It makes sense that the 3 should taste the same since its the same bourbon but different bottlings, but I see here on the forum that there may be differences....

Anyone?
BourbonBalls

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:42 am

Well, it was kept in stainless steel to retard aging and was bottled over approximately a 10 year period. Some people feel the whiskey may have changed in the tank over that period. All the bottlings are good but the last one seemed slightly less good to me. I believe I was the first to note this, on the other board, after buying a bottle from the last batch (from Sam's in Chicago). Since then I've had more gold foils, and they are all the same, and then I found a gold wax (Premier Liquors in Buffalo, NY) which I tried side-by-side to one of the gold foils and the gold wax was better but not by a huge margin. I never had the blue wax version, I regret to say. I did have the wax version of the Hirsch 20 year old (same '74 Michter's, just 4 years older than the other when bottled and never tanked) but the word version is not really right there. There was only one bottling of the 20, the color of the wax seal was red I believe. There was a 19 year old version, and a rare 15 year old too I believe, all under the Hirsch imprint; I never had those.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings