William Larue Weller

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

William Larue Weller

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:53 pm

The new WLW. I believe it is 12 years old. Is this Stitzel-Weller whiskey?
Joe :?:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby dgonano » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:18 am

No, it wouldn't be S-W, as it shut down in 1992 ( WLW was distilled in the fall of 1993). Buffalo Trace distilled many barrels for United Distillers
( the barrel heads even state "United" on them). This most likely was BT's wheated formula made for UD.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:35 am

I picked up some of the William Larue Weller yesterday, and had a wee taste last evening. VERY GOOD! I'm looking forward to lots of enjoyment with this bottling. After I've gotten more familiar with it, there will be tasting notes added to the Reviews.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:13 pm

Just read Mike Veach's tasting notes. I know his palete and trust his take on this very special bourbon. Just as I suspected, this is a bourbon we all need to try, and expound upon.

Call me ima - ima twain! :wink:
bunghole

Unread postby Mike » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:17 pm

Likewise, I just read Mike Veach's notes on the new Weller. As always, he is precise and accurate! I appreciate his reviews, and I appreciate the man!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Blue » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 am

Anyone know where a poor boy from PA might be able to order some of this at a decent price? I'm positively dying to try some. I adore the rest of BT's Antique Collection which is readily available here but the PLCB simply won't carry WLW and all of the other retailers either won't ship here or want an astronomical sum for it.
Blue
Epi-curious

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:45 pm

Somewhat to our surprise, VA ABC came through with a bottle. Of course, we did order TWO, but oh, well. We'll probably sample next week. Can't wait to compare to Mike's notes.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:21 am

angelshare wrote:Somewhat to our surprise, VA ABC came through with a bottle. Of course, we did order TWO, but oh, well. We'll probably sample next week. Can't wait to compare to Mike's notes.

I want some! When can I come up?

:arrow: ima :drink:
bunghole

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:36 am

Hey, Bunghole! We are overdue for a VA gathering...would you, OneCube & other interested VA parties be interested in a gathering Monday April 24? our schedule is crazy until then, but with a little notice, I can work it out. What do you say?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:27 am

April 24 sounds great to me! I'm looking forward to trying that WLW!
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby bunghole » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:21 pm

Dave, as of right now April 24th is open for me, so count me in :!:

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:54 am

Perfect! The next VA chapter meeting will be Monday, April 24th starting about 12:00 and ending about 6:00. Tina & I will test the WLW in the meantime to make sure it's okay. :D
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:22 pm

Well, on the chance that I misjudged this bourbon the first time I had it, I went back to it recently and was more than ready to amend my slightly less than enthusiastic review of it. WLW is rich, and creamy..... and very good. But, as I said in my review, it fails to make it past mid-palate, making the finish short and unsatisfactory.

I do not know what it takes to make a great finish in bourbon, I suspect that rye bourbons probably last a bit longer than wheat bourbons and as a result may be ultimately more complex and interesting whiskies.

I would never give up my like of some of the wheat whiskies though. I still think Pappy 20 belongs with the best of the best for its subtleness and refinement.

My opinion is still that WLW, while being a very good bourbon, doesn't belong among those bourbons that I get excited about. It is not a 'complete' or 'balanced' bourbon to me.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 pm

Had my first taste of William LaRue Weller at angleshare's this past weekend, and I must say that I found this bourbon to be supurb in everyway. It is lively and complex both in the nose and on the palate with a wonderfuly balanced finish of moderate duration. I am sorry that I did not even attempt to take any detailed tasting notes, but this meeting of the Virginia Chapter of Bourbon Enthusiast.com was more about the fun and fellowship of bourbon rather than the in depth tastings and shootouts we have had in the past.

If I ever get a chance to sample this fine wheated bourbon again I promise to take down some serious tasting notes.
bunghole

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:42 am

I found that it was much better at our tasting on the 24th than I had appreciated on previous tastings. By the end of the bottle, we'll probably fall in love with it and not be able to get another easily!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings