Older Old Charter vs. Newer Old Charter?

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Older Old Charter vs. Newer Old Charter?

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:12 am

Being the IW Harper enthusiast that I (Dave) am, it is probably not surprising that I am an Old Charter fan, too. Unfortunately, there is not any Old Charter for 100's of miles that I can find reliably. VA ABC does not carry it. Consequently, it is a "rare" bourbon for us.

Yesterday, though, I stumbled on to what I believe is some "old" Old Charter 8 year. It has a Louisville distillaton location (not Frankfort) and the bottom of the glass has a "95" - bottled in 1995?

At this point, this is the only OC 8 year we have. Does anybody know how this compares with the new?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Joeluka » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:06 am

I only have a bottle of the Old Charter 13yr Proprietor's Reserve , which is really something special in my opinion. I want to ask you what you think of the I W Harper 15yr though. I found a couple of bottle's of it at a store and I was wondering if it should be in my collection. I passed on buying it because I found the Old Charter and a Weller Centennial there as well. I really havent seen or heard much about the IW HArper 15 at all so any suggestions on it would be helpful in deciding

Joe
Joeluka

Unread postby Brewer » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:44 pm

Joe,

If you can, pick up the 2 IW Harper's...I'd take 1. I've wanted to try it for a long time.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:53 pm

Joeluka wrote:I only have a bottle of the Old Charter 13yr Proprietor's Reserve , which is really something special in my opinion. I want to ask you what you think of the I W Harper 15yr though.

Our opinion of the 15 year is that it is good, but generally overpriced. My real enthusiasm for the IWH is the 4 year expression - light, lively, a celebration of what young bourbon can be. I would say that you made the right choice getting the OC PR over the IWH 15 yr if you had to choose.

Bob, why didn't you ask when you stopped by this spring??
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:57 am

angelshare wrote:

Bob, why didn't you ask when you stopped by this spring??

Dave,

It must of been due to all of the other goodies available, plus getting to visit you and your gals, plus meeting Mr. Bunghole. Too much going on for me to handle! :wink: :)

BTW Dave, what does the 15 YO go for? Joe do you remember the price?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Joeluka » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:04 am

They are getting $36.99 for it. The Weller Centinnal, Old Charter 13yr, and even an Old Fitzgerald 12yr are all going for $29.99, but because the Harper is 15yr old I think this guys thinks it should be more. I am going to get it for myslef still and I'm planning on getting you one too. Let me know other wise.

Joe
Joeluka

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:09 am

It's good to know another local place carries some of these goodies. Yeah, grab the Harper for me when you go. I'll look forward to having a taste of that soon. That's a pretty good price for the OC Proprietors Reserve!
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Joeluka » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:29 am

Done

Joe
Joeluka

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings