Fall '05 Stagg - First Impressions

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Fall '05 Stagg - First Impressions

Unread postby jburlowski » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:47 pm

I picked up the new Fall '05 Stagg today. I waited (barely) until I got home to have a taste. Here are my first impressions:

Nose is very dry but otherwise very typical of bourbon (unlike the Spring '05 offering which was more cognac-like in aroma). Scent of dried, burnt fruit; bitter orange predominating.

Pallette is also very dry... licorice, anise, and black pepper. Slight taste of over-ripe fruit.

Finish is very powerful and hot (although not as hot as one might expect given the high proof). Also remarkably short; not much to distinguish here.

Adding a touch of spring water softened the "bigness" and definitely brings out some of the nuances.

Overal, my sense is of a very good whiskey but not up to the (very high) bar set by previous Staggs. These are merely first thoughts... a whiskey this intense and complex deserves and requires more carefull tasting and side-by-side comparisons with previous offerings.
John B.
jburlowski

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:29 pm

I agree that this Stagg is not anything other than the standard Stagg taste profile without anything striking as extrodinary. I thought it tasted very much like the Spring Stagg. I have gotten to the point that I still have plenty of past releases of Stagg and I don't really bother to purchase the new because, well it is not anything different. When I run out of Stagg, I will consider buying some more, but not until then.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings