Special W.L. Weller 14yo bottling

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Special W.L. Weller 14yo bottling

Unread postby MikeK » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Yesterday I stopped by one of my favorite liquor stores. These guys have a relationship with BT and sometimes go down to the distillery to pick out their own barrels to be bottled. I was hoping to find out if they would be getting some of the new BT products due out this fall.

Boy, was I in for a treat! Two of the managers had made a trip down to BT a while back and had selected a few barrels to be bottled for the liquor store. They had a single barrel BT, a special Eagle Rare bottling, and what caught my eye, a special W.L. Weller.

They have a W.L. Weller 14yo at 100 proof priced at $29. How did this happen? They went looking for a nice barrel of wheat recipe and picked one out in a section of the warehouse very close to where Van Winkle is usually selected from. The barrel just happened to be 14 years old. They told me that Preston Van Winkle visibly winced when he tasted the barrel they chose, because it would obviously have been good enough for Pappy 15 in one more year.

I have just started working on a bottle, but it is wonderful. I picked up 2 bottles but may have to go back for a few more. I'll give a better review as I develop a relationship with this bottle.

Cheers!

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Mark » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:20 pm

Wow, sounds great Mike! There was a place in NJ that last year did 2 seperate eagle rare single barrel barrel buys. One was a 14yo and the other a 13yo, and the best was they priced it at only $22 or $23 a bottle. They sold out of every bottle both times within a week! A 14 yo weller sounds like a really nice find as well. Would you say it shares alot of characteristics with the 15 yo pappy or is it a bit sweeter?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:51 pm

Mike a 14 year old Weller single barrel at 100 proof sounds mighty tastey! If you like it enough, I'd buy as many bottles as I could afford.

Do me a favor and try this for me. Pour about half a shot into the palm of one hand and rub your hands together. No, don't smack your cheeks like you're putting on aftershave. Let it evaporate a little and then cup your hands together around your nose.

Does it smell like a Mounds Bar? Chocolate and coconut? It should.

Marvin Franz and I were in the Buffalo Trace dumping shed one day. Mike Veach, and John and Linda Lipman were also there. 12 year old Weller was being dumped at the time. Marvin just reached under the gushing bunghole with his hands cupped and got himself a big drink of uncut barrel proof Weller. Thinking this was mighty keen, I quickly followed suit.
Ken Weber looked on with amusement and rolled his eyes heavenward. The dumping shed workers ('the dumpers') were taken aback. John found some paper cups (cones really) and drew off some of the magic elixer.

Then we hopped back into the BT van and as Ken was driving us back to Stoney Point Mansion for a private tasting with Elmer T. Lee - Marvin said "Where is the coconut coming from?" "Coconut?!" I asked. "Yes! Smell your Hands!" said Marvin. Sure enough Marvin nailed it. Coconuts out the bunghole! Chocolate too - like a Mounds bar. Gotta be a fusil oil. Elmer wouldn't tell us.

I sure hope the new uncut; unfiltered Weller smells and tastes like that barrel did. That's gonna be Gooooooood!

:arrow: imaproundtobeabunghole :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby MikeK » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:04 am

Coconuts out the bunghole. :shock: Great. Thanks for the visual.

I tried sniffing a handful of the whiskey this morning. I got quite a shocked look from my family as they looked up from their breakfast cereal to see me pouring whiskey into my cupped hands. Bingo! Chocolate and coconut among other things, fading into dark fruit and then heavy oak. Wonderful. I got my wife to smell and she agreed.
Good call. I'm at work now and my hands still have a pleasant aroma :)

To answer Mark's question, I'll have to let you know. I find most whiskeys open up as you get into the bottle, so although I can already tell this one is a gem, I'm sure I haven't gotten to the best part yet. The last couple bottles of Pappy 15 I've tried are very dark and woody (perhaps too much), a lot different from bottles I've had in the past.

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Re: Special W.L. Weller 14yo bottling

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:43 am

MikeK wrote:They have a W.L. Weller 14yo at 100 proof priced at $29. How did this happen? They went looking for a nice barrel of wheat recipe and picked one out in a section of the warehouse very close to where Van Winkle is usually selected from. The barrel just happened to be 14 years old.

Wow, that is really cool! Do you have a picture you could post? We love the Weller line in general, and we bet this is going to be awesome. You'll have to post some tasting notes.

We were under the impression that, due to draconian laws regulating such things, even "special" bottles had to use an existing or pre-approved label. For example, when some of us here bought a barrel of BT, we couldn't even request a different proof because the whiskey in the bottle had to match the proof on the already approved BT label. So all that rambling leads up to the following question: Was there at some time a Weller 14 100 proof? Or did they make up a whole new label just for this store? Or is our premise totally mistaken/misunderstood?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:47 am

Mike,

This sounds totally awesome. Does the store ship out of state??
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby doubleblank » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:46 am

During the recent Bourbon Fest, a small group of us went to BT to acquire a single barrel of Weller 12yo. What we got to choose from were six barrels of SW whiskey distilled July 26 and 29, 1992.....to be bottled soon. So we're getting SW bourbon over 13yo at Weller 12yo prices. So we "voted" for the group's selection....which was a fine whiskey.....but it wasn't in my top two barrels. So I asked Kris Comstock if I could buy my favorite barrel of the bunch.....it reminded me of the 12yo "Van Blankle" I had purchased from Julian last year. He said yes......and more than half the group wanted in on this barrel too. Hasn't been bottled yet....but soon. I'll post what I think of both Weller 12yo's when received.

PS I'll be bringing both to next years Sampler and Fest.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby MikeK » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:01 pm

angelshare wrote: So all that rambling leads up to the following question: Was there at some time a Weller 14 100 proof? Or did they make up a whole new label just for this store? Or is our premise totally mistaken/misunderstood?

They used a Weller Centennial 100 proof label on what I was told was a E.T. Lee bottle, and then added an extra sticker stating that it was 14 years old and a special bottling for that store. I would be happy to post a picture when I get a moment.

Brewer wrote:Mike,

This sounds totally awesome. Does the store ship out of state??

I will check. I would also be happy to make some sort of trade for Bernheim Wheat, which I believe you can get but I can't ... :wink:

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:35 pm

MikeK wrote:I will check. I would also be happy to make some sort of trade for Bernheim Wheat, which I believe you can get but I can't ... :wink:
Mike

I think this would be win/win Mike. IMA gonna send you a PM this week.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:10 pm

doubleblank wrote:During the recent Bourbon Fest, a small group of us went to BT to acquire a single barrel of Weller 12yo. What we got to choose from were six barrels of SW whiskey distilled July 26 and 29, 1992.....to be bottled soon. So we're getting SW bourbon over 13yo at Weller 12yo prices. So we "voted" for the group's selection....which was a fine whiskey.....but it wasn't in my top two barrels. So I asked Kris Comstock if I could buy my favorite barrel of the bunch.....it reminded me of the 12yo "Van Blankle" I had purchased from Julian last year. He said yes......and more than half the group wanted in on this barrel too. Hasn't been bottled yet....but soon. I'll post what I think of both Weller 12yo's when received.

PS I'll be bringing both to next years Sampler and Fest.

Randy

Randy,
Happy New Year to ya Honey!
I've been away much too long. Now I'm reading thru about 3 months of posts, and having a sip of the Van Blankle as I type. Thought you'd like this shot of you, deciding on that barrel last year. Great stuff.

You know me, I've never met a Weller I didn't like... :lol:
I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby doubleblank » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:03 pm

Hey Brenda....Good to hear from you. This years Weller 160 month old is very good. Not as good as that Van Blankle.....but very good. I'll bring some to the Sampler. This Weller is a little drier on the finish....but very SW-like. Almost exactly like a cross between the VWSR 12yo and the new Pappy 15yo....but in a lighter overall style......like I like it. See you in April.

Randy
doubleblank

Unread postby dgonano » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:06 am

Randy forwarded some of our bottles to me just in time for New Years. The nose is exceptional and even though the finish is a little light, it is truly a wonderful selection.

Some of the last of the S-W whiskey. We had six barrels from which to choose and all were very good to exceptional. Randy stated they were distilled in July, 2002, but I thought they were made in June( F on label?) which would make them Spring whiskies.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby doubleblank » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Hey Dave.....You're right as they were barreled (just prior to closing) on June 26 and June 29th, 1992. I decided to have the label say "Distilled Summer of '92" based on the definitions of summer in meteorology (June, July and August in the northern hemisphere) and astrology (around June 21st more or less). The label also says "Bottled in Fall of '05".....but was very close to Winter as it took them a while to get this done with their SB backlog.

Randy
doubleblank

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings