Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Four Grain

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:59 am

The evidence that Corner Creek is 4-grain in any sense is flimsy at best. I talked to the guy who owns the brand and he couldn't give me a convincing answer about that.

Personally, I doubt it is. It's either rye-recipe bourbon or wheat-recipe bourbon, but I seriously doubt it's both.

What did Drew say? His company bottles it?
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Mark » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:43 am

I wish I had gotten to ask him Chuck but it was so swamped in LeNells thta night I only got to talk to him for a few minutes out front while he was taking a breather. We ended up just shootin the shit and didn't do much bourbon talking... Maybe he'll browse this thread and have a bit of insight, it'd be interesting to know now.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:15 am

The label says both wheat and rye are in the bottle. This would mean it has to be a four-grain recipe or a combination of a rye-recipe bourbon and wheat-recipe bourbon, no?

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:41 pm

gillmang wrote:The label says both wheat and rye are in the bottle. This would mean it has to be a four-grain recipe or a combination of a rye-recipe bourbon and whaet-recipe bourbon, no?

Or a label written by someone who had no idea what he or she was talking about, which is the explanation I personally favor.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Maybe I had too much Noah's Mill, but I thought we confirmed that the Corner Creek was definitely a mix of two whiskeys, one with rye, one with wheat. KBD does bottle it.

I tasted the WRFG at WhiskyFest and was "confused" to use Chuck's wording, too. It's not like any other whiskey I've ever had. It has a slightly burnt grain flavor that I'm assuming comes from the copper pot still distillation. It left a roasted peanut flavor in my mouth. I did not find this whiskey unpleasant, but definitely off the beaten path. I have since landed a few bottles for bourbon classes and to pass along to enthusiasts.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby angelshare » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:55 pm

cowdery wrote:
gillmang wrote:The label says both wheat and rye are in the bottle. This would mean it has to be a four-grain recipe or a combination of a rye-recipe bourbon and whaet-recipe bourbon, no?

Or a label written by someone who had no idea what he or she was talking about, which is the explanation I personally favor.

Chuck, are there legal implications if a whiskey is inaccurately labeled like this?
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:51 am

angelshare wrote:
cowdery wrote:

Chuck, are there legal implications if a whiskey is inaccurately labeled like this?

Not really, as long as it meets the standards of identity, the rest is considered fluff. The TTB would not knowingly approve a false label statement, but something like this wouldn't be an issue.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings