Weller Antique (Stitzel-Weller)

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Weller Antique (Stitzel-Weller)

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:58 pm

A customer came in and told me he had found liter bottles of the Weller Antique at a local store that were hand numbered with the gold filigree design on the glass. I took a chance and placed an order to see what would come out of the distributor's warehouse. Lo, and behold, it was this bottle. So I ordered another case and called Kris Comstock. Kris informed me that this was found a while back in a warehouse and was destined for duty free. BT got special permission to sell it in the States, he said. He confirmed that it was S-W whiskey. I have not yet popped a bottle side by side with the current Weller Antique.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Re: Weller Antique (Stitzel-Weller)

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:16 am

tlsmothers wrote:A customer came in and told me he had found liter bottles of the Weller Antique at a local store that were hand numbered with the gold filigree design on the glass. I took a chance and placed an order to see what would come out of the distributor's warehouse. Lo, and behold, it was this bottle. So I ordered another case and called Kris Comstock. Kris informed me that this was found a while back in a warehouse and was destined for duty free. BT got special permission to sell it in the States, he said. He confirmed that it was S-W whiskey. I have not yet popped a bottle side by side with the current Weller Antique.

I want one -- or FIVE!
TNbourbon

Old Weller

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:01 am

LeNell,
If you have (can get) any more, I'd love to have a bottle too. More than willing to buy or trade. :cheers:
Thanks,
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby White Lightning » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:37 am

put me down third on the list...

Also do you know if it is limited to a specific market or was it a substantial ammount that is in normal distribution channels across the board?
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:40 am

I never liked Weller Antique. Please sell my bottle to JoeB. :usa2:
bunghole

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:13 am

bunghole wrote:I never liked Weller Antique.

Linn,

I've never had the Antique. What didn't you like about it? And to others that have had the Antique, what are your opinions, especially of the SW product?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:24 am

Bob,

The flavor is OK, but nothing special. It's the finish that leaves me cold. It's short and dry. Too dry. Makes me reach for a glass of water. Ima likes bourbon that makes me reach for a glass of woman!

Pants Away Baby!

:arrow: ima :king:
bunghole

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:48 am

I picked up a gold-flecked S-W bottle from my brother-in-law last month (who accidentally bought it years ago thinking it was Rebel Yell(!))

Linn's right about the finish (although I have it as "crisp" in my tasting notes...) I did a blind wheater tasting against VW Lot B, Makers Mark Select (black wax) and Old Fitz Prime :roll: and was surprised to learn that I preferred the Weller Antique.

Just bought a current bottle of the Antique last week but haven't done the new vs. old comparison yet.

I'd be mighty obliged to be put on the list at LeNell's (also have my eye on that BMH 21!)
BostonEnthusiast

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings