2005 release of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:59 am

Brenda,
Nice photograph and a thanks to Jason for taking it should be in order. As I said at the Bistro, they gave me more so it was no big deal spilling the glass. I have thought about my notes though and maybe the sweet spice I was tasting was not nutmeg, but clove - I will have to try again to see if I got it right.

Gary,
The cycling is part of the flavor profile of Old Forester and I have also wondered what an Old Forester aged in a unheated ironclad warehouse would taste like.

Mike Veach

PS
Brenda told me she was doing a "Gary" at the end of Chris' presentation when she mixed the remains of all three bourbons into one glass so they could clean the tables to open the restaurant. She was actually pleased with the results so you might make an experimental blender out of her yet!
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:33 pm

Mike,
Yes, thanks to Jason for the photo (actually, it was his idea). And, thanks to John for noticing what a klutz I am, and cleaning up my mess without teasing me... :oops: . (Wish y'all could have seen Mike. He was kind enough to hand me his glass for a taste. I immediately dumped it all over the table. Being the consummate southern gentleman that he is, he simply rolled his eyes a little and said, "I can't believe you did that." :P )

I really do like the new expression. It reminded me of the 2003 Spring BB. But it's heavier, richer...more like dried fruit than fresh fruit.

doing a "Gary" at the end of Chris' presentation when she mixed the remains of all three bourbons into one glass so they could clean the tables
I did think of you Gary, but mostly Bj doesn't like to waste good Bourbon... :wink:

I've finally gotten the BB page half-done. I'm hoping you can help with the captions, I've forgotten a couple of names and postions. I'll drop you a pm.
http://www.bourbonrecipes.com/BourbonsB ... urbon.html

It was a cool event, got to meet Susan Reigler, Joanna and Mary Hill from BF's Beverage Packaging Group. She is also on one of the tasting panels, so it was great talking with her. Tell John and Jason I'll get their main page up and running asap.
I love that place,
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby Mark » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:08 am

So it looks like the 'color choice' for this years tags and effects on the bottle is purple from the pics? Two reds, green, then blue have been thus far right?
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:52 am

Mark,
Chris did mention the color and that they tried to vary the color with the expression. This year I think he called it "lilac" but to me it was simply "purple".

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:21 pm

bourbonv wrote:...aged on the lower floors of the warehouse and bottled at 94 proof...

Is it possible there is more than one version this year, Mike? Another KY acquaintance of mine managed to get ahold of an early bottle, and reports it states 96 proof on the bottle, and that the hang-tag says it was aged on the 7th Floor of Warehouse H.
Last edited by TNbourbon on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNbourbon

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:58 pm

Tim,
Is it possible there is more than one version this year, Mike? Another KY acquaintance of mine managed to get ahold of an early bottle, and reports is states 96 proof on the bottle

Ya know, Mike and I had this conversation after Chris' presentation. I thought it was 96 proof too. For some reason, my notes said 96 proof. Mike double checked, and I've scratched out the 96 and wrote 94 proof.
Mike will know,
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:15 am

Brenda,
I checked one of the bottles at the Bistro yesterday and Alan told me wrong - it is 96 proof.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:13 am

Well it seems some people at S-B are having quite a laugh at my expense because of some mistakes I made in this heading. I am glad they are enjoying themselves and I have to admit they were a couple of blunders that never should have happened.

The first thing is that when Chris Morris was discussing the lack of fire in this year's birthday bourbon, he was asked if that meant it came from the lower floors of the warehouse and he answered "yes". He obviously mispoke, an easy thing to do when handling a bourbon tasting of over 50 people having a good time. I should never have used that without asking him in a calmer situation the question again. My first mistake here.

The second mistake was not having the bottle infront of me when doing the tasting. After Alan poured the drink and I set down to do the notes, the question of proof came up and I asked Alan and he said "94" and I took his word for it. He was quite busy behind the bar since the place was filled with Old Forester fans as well as patrons beginning to wander in for dinner. I should have asked for a bottle to look at for the notes. There were probably a couple of empty ones behind the bar by that time and I could have used one of those.

These were my mistakes and I am paying the price for them on S-B. These are not my first mistakes and I know for a fact they will not be my last. I hope they do not detract from the quality of the event or this fine bourbon. My notes and such are here out in the open for all to look at, members and non-members alike. This type of thing is bound to happen from time to time.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:49 am

Well it seems some people at S-B are having quite a laugh at my expense

Awww Mike, don't beat yerself up too bad. Mistakes are one of the few constants in this life.
What makes me chuckle is, despite the fact that this forum is a mere 'shadow of SB', they're obviously all reading it on the sly... :cabbage:
Pretty funny really,
Bj
brendaj

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:01 pm

They're all just a bunch of Bourbon Enthusiast wannabes! They very obviously lurk here in order to learn a little something about whiskey. Plus they've been caught with their pants down, as they either didn't know about, or weren't invited to the Birthday Bourbon event at Bourbon's Bistro, so they have to bash our highly esteemed Professor Veach. They're just so jealous that they could spit! What a bunch of cry babies. :roll: So sad that it's funny. :laughing9:

:arrow: ima :tongue5:

Edit: Let me just calrify that my comments above refer only to the Veach Bashers, and no one else.
Last edited by bunghole on Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunghole

Unread postby kbuzbee » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:19 am

brendaj wrote:
Well it seems some people at S-B are having quite a laugh at my expense

Awww Mike, don't beat yerself up too bad. Mistakes are one of the few constants in this life.
What makes me chuckle is, despite the fact that this forum is a mere 'shadow of SB', they're obviously all reading it on the sly... :cabbage:
Pretty funny really,
Bj

Brenda, I've never done anything "sly" in my life (as those who know me can readily atest). I read both boards and post to each if I have something to say..... Both are fine forums, I enjoy them both. BE gained several new members when a posting on SB referenced it (including me). Hope that's Okay?

Ken
kbuzbee

Unread postby brendaj » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Brenda, I've never done anything "sly" in my life (as those who know me can readily atest). I read both boards and post to each if I have something to say..... Both are fine forums, I enjoy them both. BE gained several new members when a posting on SB referenced it (including me). Hope that's Okay?

Oh no, please, please don't misunderstand. I read that board too. There's good information there. I have been a member since 2000, and have over 600 posts (and several shirts). I don't do it 'on the sly' either. You and I are both registered members of both groups. That's cool. My reference was to the SB folks that want to read this forum (and obviously critique it), but can't or won't register here.

I encourage use of both groups. I apologize, now that I think about it, I most likely should have sent that message to Mike as a pm, so folks didn't think what you thought. You are correct that I was guilty of the very thing I was bitching about, and I am sorry. I have friends in both places, and I hope to continue those friendships. I really do want everyone to feel free to move happily between the forums, registered and posting in both places. My ultimate hope is that we can eventually all party together at the gazebo.
I hope I am forgiven,
Bj
brendaj

Unread postby Mike » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Mystifies me as to why there should be anything BE and SB should compete about, except in a harmless and friendly way. We all both love bourbon........and love to flap our jaws about it.

We all eating burgoo from the self same plate, let's watch our manners and do as brendaj says and meet at the gazebo and discuss bourbon.

Or else let's meet in the street and settle this thing in a rumble.........ah, wait a minute........ how many folks do they have, do they outmember us? (I really am kidding here folks!). And then there are those what belongs to all both, would they be afighting with they own sef?

OK, OK, I know, I done BS'ed enuff. I'll just go back to sleep now.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:04 pm

bourbonv wrote:Well it seems some people at S-B are having quite a laugh at my expense because of some mistakes I made in this heading.

Some, perhaps. We doubt the majority, or, at least, those who know and consequently respect your expertise.

I have to admit they were a couple of blunders that never should have happened.

You were misinformed and then reported inaccurate minor details on a conversational forum. "NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED" might apply if you were paid to write a detailed press release for Brown-Forman. Outside of that scenario, a correction (without apology) will more than suffice among your friends here.

These were my mistakes and I am paying the price for them on S-B. These are not my first mistakes and I know for a fact they will not be my last. I hope they do not detract from the quality of the event or this fine bourbon. My notes and such are here out in the open for all to look at, members and non-members alike. This type of thing is bound to happen from time to time.

We, too, are registered on both sites. We never saw the post(s) referenced, but, whatever was said, we're bummed that Mike felt maligned. Your friends don't make you "pay" for mistakes. We can't remember the German phrase exactly, but it translates to "shameful joy" - THAT sounds like what you're describing. So what? You'll forget more than we'll ever know about bourbon, Mike.

Brenda - we knew what you meant, and your follow-up post just shows what class you have! :cheers:

We like drinkin bourbon, and we like talkin about drinkin bourbon - isn't that what this is all supposed to be about? We say to heck with taking it any more seriously than that!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby kbuzbee » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:03 am

brendaj wrote:

Oh no, please, please don't misunderstand. I read that board too. There's good information there. I have been a member since 2000, and have over 600 posts (and several shirts). I don't do it 'on the sly' either. You and I are both registered members of both groups. That's cool. My reference was to the SB folks that want to read this forum (and obviously critique it), but can't or won't register here.

I encourage use of both groups. I apologize, now that I think about it, I most likely should have sent that message to Mike as a pm, so folks didn't think what you thought. You are correct that I was guilty of the very thing I was bitching about, and I am sorry. I have friends in both places, and I hope to continue those friendships. I really do want everyone to feel free to move happily between the forums, registered and posting in both places. My ultimate hope is that we can eventually all party together at the gazebo.
I hope I am forgiven,
Bj

Amen Brenda and very well said. I'm sorry I misunderstood your meaning. It happens but good folk don't let it lie. :D As I've said before both boards are great and there are great folks on both.

And I oh so agree with Dave & Tina's reply. I tried to find words like those but failed miserably :D I always enjoy Mike's postings and respect his opinions. Like D&T I somehow missing the maliegning posts but regardless it's very easy to tell on both boards who knows more than 'gee, that tastes good' - a class I find myself in!!! The really informed folks are generally the best reads (thanks folks!) :D

Cheers,

Ken
kbuzbee

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings