Japan-only Maker's Mark question

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Japan-only Maker's Mark question

Unread postby Jonathan H. » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:56 am

This is my first post so let me say this is an excellent site you guys have. I'm a regular bourbon drinker but not an official enthusiast yet as I still have a lot to learn. Anyway my brother came in from Japan for my wedding and brought two bottles of Maker's Mark for me. They had gold wax and said 'Limited Edition' on the front and have a proof of 101. I'll skip the long details since I'm posting pictures below. I'm having trouble locating any history or information on this stuff and was hoping you guys could help. Thanks

Jonathan H.

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:33 am

Maker's Mark Gold wax was once a regular bottling here in Kentucky, but they learned they could get a LOT, let me repeat, A LOT, more money per bottle in Japan and made it an export bottle only in the mid to late 80's. When it was available here in Kentucky the Gold wax was an excellent product and worth the extra money Maker's charged for their product. In the last 15 years or so they have cut back on their quality so much that Maker's is a mere shadow of its former self. I would be interested in your tasting notes for the gold wax bottle you have now. Have they made any attempt to keep the former quality or is it simply a 101 proof of mediocre product they are bottling now.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:52 am

Hi Jonathan! Mike's right, MM sells their higher proof products there in Japan because they get more money there for it than here. Koji, a friend from Japan brought a bottle of the Black Wax MM to the festival in 03' and let me tell you I found it much better than the red wax sold here. So I'm going to guess that the 101 is probably great especially since I enjoy higher proof bourbon usually. Mike shared an older bottle of MM with us as well from the 80's and wow, I remember most of us agreeing that it was much better than any current day MM...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:51 pm

The Maker's black wax (Maker's Mark Select 95 proof) is still among my favorites -- puts standard US red wax Maker's to shame. (There's a bottle over there in my avatar of Japan purchases.) A little darker, a *lot* richer, with butterscotch (and for some reason black licorice) notes.

It can be had for $20-$25 at the duty free in Narita airport -- I've never ponied up the extra yen for the gold wax.
BostonEnthusiast

Unread postby Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:07 pm

see in your avatar a bottle of four roses super premium... Now that is a great pour and worth the money. Even though it's a 'low' proof it's still so damned good! I SO wish they would make it available here in the US even if only on a once a year basis as a special edition or something...
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby srice » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:51 pm

Being a fairly frequent traveler to Asia, I am in and out of Narita several times a year and have noticed that Makers is no longer available in the duty free of the airports.
Steve Rice
Shelbyville, KY
srice

Unread postby BostonEnthusiast » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:11 pm

Mark-- Yep, Four Roses Black and Superpremium (a/k/a Platinum) are the back row. They're not that high on my list these days. I find them to be very "flat" on the palate -- the nose = entry = finish (and the Black is so light as to be nondescript!) I've wondered if the Four Roses Single Barrel in Kentucky has a little more character.

Steve-- That's a disappointment if MM Black is out of the Narita shops. I've flown out of Kansai (Osaka) the last two trips and could only find the Wild Turkey 12yo.

(Self threadjack) In the bottle shop near our Japan offices I often find Very Old St. Nick and other Kulsveen variations, as well as the whole Blanton range (white, black, green and gold barrel-proof) -- all of it a little steep for my wallet, but I'm sure I could act as courier for someone who likes them and can't find them! Another visit scheduled next month...
BostonEnthusiast

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings