Eagle Rare 10YO SB versus Eagle Rare 17YO

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Eagle Rare 10YO SB versus Eagle Rare 17YO

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:51 pm

A while ago a friend and I did a head to head battle between the ER 10YO SB and ER 17 YO.
Due to the lack of Barrel Info on the 10 YO I can’t give any specific Info – if I remember correctly the 17 YO was the 2001 edition (we did sample a lot that night, so my memory.... :drunken: )
I have never been very good at tasting notes – all I can say is that there definably was some orange flavour in both bottles. In fact – and that’s the reason for my post – I had a hard time to taste a difference between the two. The 17 YO seamed to be identical with the 10 YO albeit the fact that it seamed the flavours had been boosted 10 – 15 %. I did like the 17 YO better but at the same time I wasn’t sure whether it was worth the extra buck. Both to me are among the best bourbons available. :thumbleft:

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby tlsmothers » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:02 pm

I often find an orange zestiness to these two bourbons myself, sometimes like a little dried orange peel kinda flavor. I think these bottles are some of the best values forolder bourbons on the market. The flavors are intense and not for the faint of heart. I've been able to turn a few Scotch drinkers on to bourbon by introducing them to the ER 10yo.
tlsmothers

Unread postby parshooter » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:09 pm

I am a big fan of the 17, but now, after reading this thread, I am going to have to try the 10. If I am not mistaken, there is a 10 and a 10 SB? I have seen a 10 in the same kind of bottle as the 17, and have also seen a 10 in a different bottle. I will assume the SB is in the same bottle as the 17?
parshooter

Unread postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:15 pm

The bottles are the same shape. Having tried all three, my personal preference is for the 17, followed by the ER10, 101. I think I had a skunk of a bottle (Heaven forbid) with the single barrel. That's the problem with all single barrels. If you like the 17, and you haven't tried the standard 10, go for it!
Dave

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:23 pm

Skunk bottle. - maybe that's it. While I've yet to personally have a bad experience with regards to Eagle Rare, several other people have complained of the SB10 lacking from time to time while others I trust rave about it during the same time periods. Go figure.

The 10 -101 is not soldaround here BUT I thought the bottle was a stuby instead of the Antique Collection style bottle that the SB10 and 17 come in.
:?: Anybody?
White Lightning

Unread postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:25 pm

Yes, it's a "stubby" so to speak.
Dave

Unread postby Dave » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:05 am

OK, here's a photo of the 101, I don't think it's in the review section yet.

http://members.shaw.ca/vibes/EagleRare_101.jpg
Dave

Unread postby parshooter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:01 am

Well, I went ahead and ordered a couple bottles of the 10 SB. At $20 per, can't go too wrong 8)
parshooter

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:05 am

parshooter wrote:Well, I went ahead and ordered a couple bottles of the 10 SB. At $20 per, can't go too wrong 8)

I gotta tell ya Marc that I've never had a bottle of Eagle Rare Single Barrlel that 'did it' for me. I think the flavor profile is lacking.

I'd much rather have either Ten Year Old Ancient Ancient Age, or the flagship brand - Buffalo Trace.

Somehow Eagle Rare Ten Year Old Single Barrel has always missed the mark. At $30 a bottle many other bourbons rise to occasion in a much more satisfactory manner.

The simple fact is that Eagle Rare was ment to do battle feather-to-feather with Wild Turkey!

The 17 year old Eagle Rare is sooooooooooooo freakin' good that Jimmy Russell needs to seriously worry.

Other than that - Wild Turkey will always be a top feather in any man's cap!

What? Did you hear that???? It sounded like someone said

PANTS AWAY!

ima - must be my 'magination!
bunghole

Unread postby parshooter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:12 am

bunghole wrote: or the flagship brand - Buffalo Trace.!

I have had BT, and did not care for it at all. Something about it was just not right. I will give the 10 SB a try, I can always gift it if it is not to my liking 8)
parshooter

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:38 am

parshooter wrote:I have had BT, and did not care for it at all. Something about it was just not right. I will give the 10 SB a try, I can always gift it if it is not to my liking 8)

Must be the thong, Marc!

OK! I'll buy that. You like the Eagle Rare Single Barrel better than than Buffalo Trace.

Fine.

But do you like Handcock's President's Reserve Single Barrel better than Ten Year Old Eagle Rare Single Barrel :?:

ima - ido
bunghole

Unread postby parshooter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:48 am

bunghole wrote:
OK! I'll buy that. You like the Eagle Rare Single Barrel better than than Buffalo Trace.

Fine.

But do you like Handcock's President's Reserve Single Barrel better than Ten Year Old Eagle Rare Single Barrel :?:

I have not had the ER SB yet, gonna try it when I get my order. I have not had Handcock's either. Is that a "must try"?
parshooter

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:06 pm

parshooter wrote:I have not had the ER SB yet, gonna try it when I get my order. I have not had Handcock's either. Is that a "must try"?

Why Hell Yazzz!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY GOOOOOOOOD

That it'll Make you SMAAAAACCKKKK YO' MAMA!

ima -

thazz What I'm Talkin' 'bout Honey Chile!
bunghole

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:33 pm

I like the Hancock's better than the ER 10 SB too, but Ima, do you think you might be overstating the case just a little? :wink:
TrueBarrel

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:59 pm

TrueBarrel wrote:I like the Hancock's better than the ER 10 SB too, but Ima, do you think you might be overstating the case just a little? :wink:

MOzz definately sooo.

ima -
bunghole

Next

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings