Cabin Still, Fleischmann's and Bourbon USA

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Cabin Still, Fleischmann's and Bourbon USA

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:12 pm

Found these bottles/decanters today. Anybody know much about their history? Their taste? I know little if anything. I assume they are all 1970's products, but I am not certain. The Bourbon USA is a bit cloudy...or even particulate. I hope it's cork! The tax stamp was intact, but some appears to have evaporated.
Attachments
bourbonfinds.jpg
bourbonfinds.jpg (104.61 KiB) Viewed 8971 times
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:51 pm

What a coincidence, Dave and Tina -- I have two full examples of that bird, with one of them currently open. It's my only acquaintance with Fleischmann's, which was distilled in Owensboro.
The eagle decanter was issued for the U.S. Bicentennial -- so, 1975 or 1976. Since there is no age statement on the bottle, safest assumption is that it was distilled in the 'early-'70s'. The golden barley color indicates it's fairly young.
I don't know the mashbill, but I assume relatively high corn -- it has a corny mustiness in the nose reminiscent of freshly cribbed corn. Or, perhaps that's bottle age and an imperfect bottle seal showing. Who knows? But the mustiness wears off with aeration, much like some old Old Charter I've had recently. Then you get some light caramel and heavy vanilla.
On the tongue, it hints at sweetness that kind of dies at mid-palate. Some mild heat accompanies some nominal leather notes, followed by a short, but fresh, finish.
It's not spectaculor or complex, but pleasant enough. Let's see, maybe the closest current bottling would be Old Forester 86.
I'll be interested to know how your impressions correspond or differ to mine.
TNbourbon

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:08 pm

I like that banjo bottle! Where did you find those, Dave?
bunghole

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:09 pm

Well, Tim, inspired by you , we broke it open - even though we don't have the requisite bunker back-up!

TNbourbon wrote:What a coincidence, Dave and Tina -- I have two full examples of that bird, with one of them currently open. It's my only acquaintance with Fleischmann's, which was distilled in Owensboro.
The eagle decanter was issued for the U.S. Bicentennial -- so, 1975 or 1976. Since there is no age statement on the bottle, safest assumption is that it was distilled in the 'early-'70s'. The golden barley color indicates it's fairly young.

Thanks for the info. Tina and I guessed it was probably four years, maybe even a little younger.

I don't know the mashbill, but I assume relatively high corn -- it has a corny mustiness in the nose reminiscent of freshly cribbed corn. Or, perhaps that's bottle age and an imperfect bottle seal showing. Who knows? But the mustiness wears off with aeration, much like some old Old Charter I've had recently. Then you get some light caramel and heavy vanilla.

I think you're dead on with the corn, though I didn't get the mustiness. I did get something that reminded me of grass or hay. Tina felt the nose had an astringency that overpowered everything else. I only got that with a big "nose way in the glass" whiff.

On the tongue, it hints at sweetness that kind of dies at mid-palate. Some mild heat accompanies some nominal leather notes, followed by a short, but fresh, finish.

I got more buttery than sweet, although Tina got a sweet fruitiness that I didn't get at all. Light, warm, quick finish.

It's not spectaculor or complex, but pleasant enough. Let's see, maybe the closest current bottling would be Old Forester 86.

"Pleasant enough" is the perfect summation. Maybe we'll try a side by side to test your theory. Overall, it reminded me more of my young favorite IW Harper 4 year with a generous splash of a bottom shelf young Heaven Hill product mixed in. Tina declined to commit on a comparison.

Thanks again, Tim!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:12 pm

Sounds like we're in the same ballpark anyway -- and often that's as close as two tasters can come.
Maybe Mike or John can add some detail about provenance.
TNbourbon

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:18 pm

bunghole wrote:I like that banjo bottle! Where did you find those, Dave?

Hey, Linn! Somehow I missed your post first time around!

Sometimes my dad drives to MD and I ride shotgun. We were around Hagerstown and went to this place in the middle of nowhere named - no joke - Godlove's Liquors. They had a whole bunch of decanters, some full, most not. We were kind of pressed for time, and it was impossible to tell what was full without actually hefting them, and they weren't easy to reach. Might have bought some others if there was more time to examine.

We'll have to figure out a time you can come by and sample that banjo bottle! Won't vouch for the quality yet, though - it really does look pretty cloudy!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bunghole » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:56 pm

Dave I took a closer look at your photograph and it's hard to tell against the wood table background, but yes it does look pretty clouldy and is probably badly oxidized. I think I'd leave it as is.

That trip to Maryland sounds like fun.

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:32 pm

The Cabin Still is from the late 60's or early 70's and is common decanter, but an uncommon bourbon. It is Van Winkle Stitzel-Weller and an excellent sippin bourbon. The Banjo bottle was something Medley Distillery did. I have seen them before and I think they are usually metraic so they would be from the early 1980's. If the whiskey has that much loss and is cloudy, toss it out. It will not be fit to drink. The Fleischmann's decanter you said was from the Bicentennial celebration. Never had one and I can not tell you what the whiskey is like.

If you are looking for the history of the distilleries then check out the Bourbon Lore Forum gor the Stitzel-Weller Time line. I have also posted the Medley Distillery and Fleischmann's time lines as well.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby angelshare » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:17 am

bourbonv wrote:The Cabin Still is from the late 60's or early 70's and is common decanter, but an uncommon bourbon. It is Van Winkle Stitzel-Weller and an excellent sippin bourbon.

Thanks! My birthday's coming up - maybe I'll open it up then.

The Banjo bottle was something Medley Distillery did. I have seen them before and I think they are usually metraic so they would be from the early 1980's.

It is indeed Medley, distilled in Owensboro. However, it is "4/5 quart" not 750ml. Just out of curiosity, when did bottles go metric?

If the whiskey has that much loss and is cloudy, toss it out. It will not be fit to drink.

Probably, but just for the heck of it, I'll run it through a coffee filter just to see what happens. What is the cloudiness likely to be? Cork? Linn, was your oxidation comment because of the air in the bottle, or does oxidation actually cloud the whiskey?

The Fleischmann's decanter you said was from the Bicentennial celebration. Never had one and I can not tell you what the whiskey is like.

Next time you're close to Luray, VA, stop in and try it! :wink:

If you are looking for the history of the distilleries then check out the Bourbon Lore Forum gor the Stitzel-Weller Time line. I have also posted the Medley Distillery and Fleischmann's time lines as well.

Thanks, will do. I must confess that we often miss or do not read carefully enough the "Lore" forum posts up front, but they are tremendous resource in searching. We really appreciate your diligent and meticulous timeline posts. I'm betting that this website is the only place you can find such a resource. THANKS, MIKE! :cheers:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:13 am

Dave and Tina,
The metric system was started in 1979 and for about 2 or 3 years there was both ml and oz measurements on the bottle. I would say your bottle is probably late 70's just before metric. The banjo bottle was popular and re-produced for many years after the introduction.

The cloudiness is a combination on many factors. The first is oxidation. The next is evaporation causing the solids to participate out of the liquid (and the alcohol usually evaporates faster than the water). The next thing is foriegn matter from the cork or air coming in to replace the alcohol evaporating. The final thing is bacteria growing in the weakened alcohol solution. I would not drink it even after running it through a filter. You may get the solids out, but not the things that could make you sick.

The next time I am in Virginia, I will hold you to that drink. Of course if you find yourself in Louisville, I have a few things you might be interested in trying....

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:59 am

What Mike said! :sign7: Never drink cloudy whiskey. :naughty:

:arrow: ima :2cents:
bunghole

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings