I couldn't believe my eyes.

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

I couldn't believe my eyes.

Unread postby parshooter » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:20 am

Here in Ohio, we have state-run liquor stores. Most do not have a very good selection of high-end booze. I went looking for some bourbon and they had Pappy VanWinkle 15 :shock: I have never tried it so I snatched up a bottle ($39.00). It is gooooood stuff.
parshooter

Unread postby Mark » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:21 am

Yeah, I too like the Pappy Van Winkle 15yo. It is different in my opinion than the no longer made Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo. I find appropriately that the new PVW15 closely resembles Pappy 20 in an uncanny way. If you can find a bottle of the old orvw15yo grab one, it was phenominal as well and a bit 'sweeter' than the pappy15 is.

I've heard from many that Ohio just sucks for selection. Thats a shame, VA has liquor control stores as well but at least they have special order and their normal selection isn't too bad. I'd like to say people should try and make them change but somehow i think we all know how far that'd go with the state and govt... :roll:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: I couldn't believe my eyes.

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:23 am

parshooter wrote:Here in Ohio, we have state-run liquor stores. Most do not have a very good selection of high-end booze. I went looking for some bourbon and they had Pappy VanWinkle 15 :shock: I have never tried it so I snatched up a bottle ($39.00). It is gooooood stuff.

Yes it is Marc! At $39 it's only $4 more than in Kentucky. A good deal on a great find!

:arrow: imajelous :drink:
bunghole

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:47 pm

Actually, they have run out of the 15yo in Louisville. Julian helped track down a bottle for a friend and it was about $50.00.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:48 pm

I never really cared for the 'Old Rip' Van Winkels and always liked the 'Pappys' better. Something about the 'Pappy' flavor profile just sends me.

I think it's all Sally's fault!

:arrow: ima :heart: sally :1st:
bunghole

Unread postby Chaz7 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:44 am

The Pappy's are all my absolute favorites (at least today). I think the 20 yr is by far the best, but at $70.00, not my everyday pour. But I personnally prefer the 12yr Lot B over the 15yr (maybe because here in Colorado the 15 yr closer to $43.00). I just bought the ORVW 10yr 90 proof, and for $20, it was very good. I am looking for the ORVW 10yr 107, and the Family Reserve Rye to round out my "collection" (they are all open and being enjoyed-see a good article on collecting in the latest Whisky mag). Yea, the Van Winkle family took me by surprise. A few years back, when I was only buying a Woodford Reserve or a Knob Creek to enjoy in between my single malts, I looked at the ORVW squat bottles and thought it must be a step above Old Crankcase 141. Man, did I learn not to judge a drink by its' bottle. Now, it's the occassional scotch in between my bourbons!
Chaz7

Re: I couldn't believe my eyes.

Unread postby kbuzbee » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:12 pm

parshooter wrote:Here in Ohio, we have state-run liquor stores. Most do not have a very good selection of high-end booze.

I'd always thought that as well. It is 'kinda' true but there is more here than you probably think (example, I've NEVER seen any Van Winkle here!) but if it's on the State list your store can order it. Trouble is they have to choose how much inventory they can carry. Personally I wish my stores would loose a couple of the bottom shelf products for something a little better, but that's just me.

Another example, I never saw Tribute in any of my regular shops but found 2 bottles this week in a store I just tripped over.

This is a pretty big change from a couple years ago. The State has a website and will answer any questions you have on availability. Once you know they can get it, you find a store willing to order.

Happy hunting,

Ken
kbuzbee

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings