Stagg flavors out of left field

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Stagg flavors out of left field

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:01 pm

I know there's recently been a friendly controversy as to Stagg's flavor profile. As a participant in the Virginia Stagg tasting event, I would have previously sworn that there was no mint flavor of any kind in George T. Stagg. However, I just got it. Actually, I got it with serious gusto. It's there.

Previously, and also at the recent tasting event, all I had gotten was the familiar vanilla/caramel-with-a-hint-of-tobacco thing. Tonight I retasted the 2003 solo, and *BAM* spearmint galore! Actually, it was spearmint with a licorice/anise thing going on in the background.

This stuff morphs guys. I didn't have anything bizarre to eat or brush my teeth or anything bizarre. It's just so multi-faceted that it's different night to night.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:39 pm

It especially changes over time in the glass -- something rare in that we either pour it in small doses or like it so much is disappears quickly. Try a deep pour in a good-sized snifter -- either neat or with a little water (or, one cube only! :D ), and savor it over an hour or more. Overripe bananas appear, your old leather baseball mitt, apple-pie spices. Fascinating, really.
TNbourbon

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings