Thanks Marie and Bud!

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Thanks Marie and Bud!

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:00 pm

John and Linda Lipman came down to Louisville last night and Joined me for dinner at Bourbon's Bistro. I used this for an excuse to open one of the two old Maker's Mark that is a gold wax, 86 proof bottled from product selected by Bill Samuels for Marie and Bud. It is very dark in color and at only 86 proof I am guessing it is in the 10 to 12 years old range.

We joined in this by Susan and her friend Joanne. Everybody drank the first drink with a toast to Marie and Bud as we drank it neat in Glencairn glasses at the bar of Bourbon's Bistro. It was very sweet on the nose with lots of caramel and fruity apricot and maybe a hint of ripe pears. The taste matched the nose with a burst of flavorful caramel and fruit with some nutty pecan and and a hint of oak tannin. It was very nice in the finish with sweet vanilla lasting a respectable long time in the mouth. A great bourbon.

We started with a full bottle and I now have about 1/4 bottle as the owners John and Jason, the bartenders Allan and Margo shared in our tasting experience. Before I left, Jason's lovely wife Becky came by and I had to share the experience with her as well. (She is just about as big a bourbon fan as her husband!) On the whole it was a great night with a great bourbon.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:11 pm

ima knows John & Linda.

Just who the hell are "Marie & Bud"?!

Is this bourbon that damned good?

Is this the one that made ima sing & dance?

Pants Away, Baby!

Linn
bunghole

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:40 pm

I remember those old gold wax bottles from years ago. I loved that whiskey. The stuff MM is putting out today is a far cry from that old stuff. Ah the memories.
Joe :cry:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:39 am

This gold wax sealed bottle is different from the gold wax 101 proof sold in the 70's. It is only 86 proof and very dark indicating a very old product - probably 10 or 12 years old. It is very balanced with sweet vanilla and caramel sweetness and a fruity apricot start with a little hazelnut and oak in the middle with a long sweet creme brule finish. An excellent bourbon and I am saving a few drinks from one of the bottles for the next time I see Linn and Howie. They both loved the last old bottles of Maker's I had - both red and gold wax bottles and I think this is even better.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:02 am

Like Linn said, who are Marie & Bud?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 am

Good question. I am assuming it was their estate sale that I purchased this from. A former co-worker's mother runs estate sales and brings bottles to me when she gets them.

Mike Veach
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings