George T. Stagg 02' & 03' questions

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:47 pm

If everybody is really using char #4 (or close to), why offer #1-#3.
I would guess somebody is using lower char #, since it’s on offer.
Does anyone know what JD is using? (I’m not implying anything – but they might use lower char do to the LCP)

Thomas
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:26 pm

The Whiskey Viking wrote:If everybody is really using char #4 (or close to), why offer #1-#3.
I would guess somebody is using lower char #, since it’s on offer.
Does anyone know what JD is using? (I’m not implying anything – but they might use lower char do to the LCP)

Thomas

Easy answer, Thomas - All brown-forman produucts are put up in Bluegrass Cooperage. That means the "something between #3 -#4 char" alligator char.

There is a slight variation howerever. A small version of the Woodford Reserve Distillery resides in Shivley, Kentucky at the Early Times Distillery. Small 10 & 15 gallon kegs are used for aging. No word as to their char level. This intel comes directly from the mouth of Chris Morris. Mike Veach and Chuck Cowdery were there as witnesses, as was Bobby Cox; Brenda J. Piercefield, Marvin and others of creditable character.

:arrow: ima
bunghole

Unread postby White Lightning » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:18 am

This is interesting and something I haven't really given that much thought. It sounds like the char level is actually more geared toward the distillery than the actual whiskey that will enter.

Based on the way I understood George T. Stagg was originally selected, I doubt the char was (purposely) something special / different (compared to other B/T barrels destined to bottled under a different brand name).
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Archis » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:46 pm

Does anybody know if this is available in Maryland? I really would like to give it a try.
Archis

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:06 pm

I would think brandy and even wine producers might buy barrels charred to #1 or #2 which might qualify as toasted. In any case it is known some brandy producers use varying levels of new charred wood for at least certain periods of aging their product (usually for the first year or so). I think the cooperages sell to more than the bourbon makers, and of course even some of them make products that might use the lightly charred wood, e.g. Heaven Hills makes brandy from California wines.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mark » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:22 pm

Archis wrote:Does anybody know if this is available in Maryland? I really would like to give it a try.

Are you near Westminster MD? If so there is a place there that is out but will probably get it next year... They have had in stock the past 3 years but it sells out ULTRA quickly just about everywhere.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Archis » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:13 pm

Yes that is pretty close, can you give me their name and I will contact them.

Thanks
Archis

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:40 pm

BIB doesn't require filtration.

There are doubtless lots of bourbons that could call themselves BIB. Mostly they don't because they don't think it means anything to the consumer.

Char level is a function of time. The gas jets flame on for X seconds for a #1 and Y seconds for a #2, so you get a 1/2 by splitting the difference. If you wanted to get silly about it, you could do a #2 5/16 if you wanted to.

Traditionally, #4 was the highest, the "alligator" char. This was somewhat arbitrary, but the cooperages said that if you burned the barrels more (i.e., longer) than that they would lose physical integrity. Then Buffalo Trace (naturally) started messing around to see if they could go futher and, again based on the traditional timing scale (I apologize, but I don't know the actual times, but it's something like 90 seconds for a #4), they pushed it up to a #7. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to really make the whiskey taste any different than a #4, so maybe the people who decided #4 was the limit knew what they were doing after all.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:54 pm

cowdery wrote: Then Buffalo Trace (naturally) started messing around to see if they could go futher and, they pushed it up to a #7. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to really make the whiskey taste any different than a #4, so maybe the people who decided #4 was the limit knew what they were doing after all.

A few questions...How much #7 char level was produced? Was it destined for a particular brand? Was it eventually dumped and married with more typically charred bourbon? Is it even known what the outcome of the #7 was/is? Has anyone else pushed the barrel's envelope like this?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:46 pm

It was one of their experiments. May have been one barrel or a couple, but no more than that. They have been letting people taste it at WhiskeyFest and the like. I assume the experiment is continuing.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Previous

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings