Bottlings from the distillery (or KY) only

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Bottlings from the distillery (or KY) only

Unread postby MikeK » Wed May 18, 2005 7:21 am

I'll be in Frankfort next month and wonder if there are bottlings I should seek out that are available only at the distillery or in the area? As a very simple example, I have read reviews for a variety of Makers Mark bottlings, but have never seen anything in person other than the normal red topped bottle.

I plan to visit Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, HH, Makers Mark, Four Roses, Labrot & Graham ...

Thanks, Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bucky1 » Wed May 18, 2005 8:55 am

Mike,
I don't think you'll find any bottlings available only at the distillery. The only thing you can purchase at Makers Mark is a sovenir bottle that they let you dip in wax. You will find a few KY only bottlings to check out. The two obvious ones to me are Four Roses Single Barrel & the KY only Stagg (if you can still find it). If you like Wild Turkey you might pick up the new Russell's Reserve 90 proof...I like the 101 proof much better.

I'm sure you'll pick up good advice from the rest of the forum.

Sounds like a busy trip....have fun.

Jon
bucky1

Unread postby jbohan » Wed May 18, 2005 9:15 am

Sometimes they have bottles at Buffalo Trace that are autographed by Elmer T. Lee himself.
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby Brewer » Wed May 18, 2005 10:46 am

Mike,

If you can get over to Lexington, go to the Thoroughbred Shop. They have (better inquire about availability) a Single Barrel bottling of Buffalo Trace. It was our runner-up last year when a group of us bought a barrel.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby bunghole » Wed May 18, 2005 10:48 am

Mike,

Jim Beam usually has some special bottling that is available at 'the outpost only'.

Also Heaven Hill has some really effin cute little jugs of Evan Williams Master Distillers Select that you can get personalized. If you've not had any, don't blame me if you fall head over heals in love! :love4: Damn fine bourbon! :heart:

:arrow: ima :angel7:
bunghole

Unread postby TNbourbon » Wed May 18, 2005 12:30 pm

Evan Williams 1783 and HH's (formerly Stitzel-Weller, but now Bernheim bourbon) Old Fitzgerald 1849 are excellent bottom-shelf bottlings not available widely outside of Kentucky. Steals at $9-$11 for 750ml.
Also, if you see Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10yo BIB (a white label in square bottle with tall neck), don't pass it at $11-$12.
TNbourbon

Unread postby jbohan » Wed May 18, 2005 12:37 pm

Mike,

Be sure to stop by a Liquor Barn location in Lexington or Louisville, and several posts on this site have good things to say about the Bourbon Bistro in Louisville.

John
To long ashes and long finishes
jbohan
True Friend

Unread postby MikeK » Thu May 19, 2005 8:08 am

Many thanks for all the great tips.

Although BT is my favorite distillery, I am very interested in visits to HH and Four Roses since I have tasted little to none from either. I am quite interested to see what they are making and bringing a few bottles home.

What HH labels should I check out at the distillery or on the shelves (other than the excellent suggestions already offered)

I'll also keep my eyes open for VanWinkle and Maple Hill while in the area. (Both are limited and pricey at home) All bottles VW are super, and I've never tried a BMH.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming :)

Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby BSS » Thu May 19, 2005 6:51 pm

You won't find any Black Maple Hill around Frankfort. I have never seen it in Kentucky.
BSS

Unread postby brendaj » Fri May 20, 2005 11:51 am

Can you get Ancient Ancient Age (not 10 Star), or Very Old Barton in MA?
If not, they're both worth taking home.
Bj
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings