Single Barrel of Buffalo Trace

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:35 am

TNbourbon wrote:Well, I hate to put a damper on big dreams, but I think it's also a matter of what the distiller/distillery is willing to sell. Keeping in mind that BT only managed to find enough profile-matching bourbon to bottle 1,050 Eagle Rare 17s this year, I doubt they'd EVER sell a barrel privately.

I don't know about the Pappy but I found this bottle of Eagle Rare 14YO on http://www.whisky.fr
Now my french is not the best but I think it says it was bottled from barrel no 89. Selected by them in may 04.
Dang, on more need to have bottle :wink:

Thomas
Attachments
v493.jpg
v493.jpg (9.88 KiB) Viewed 11730 times
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby Mark » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:46 am

TNbourbon wrote:
Brewer wrote:...To some degree, its also a matter of price and the number of "investors"...

Well, I hate to put a damper on big dreams, but I think it's also a matter of what the distiller/distillery is willing to sell. Keeping in mind that BT only managed to find enough profile-matching bourbon to bottle 1,050 Eagle Rare 17s this year, I doubt they'd EVER sell a barrel privately. Same goes for Julian and his stock of available whiskey to become Pappy 23. Pretty to think so, though.

Oh yeah, ER 17 they will not do but ER 10yo Single Barrel or ER 10yo 101 proof they will do... And they are both good enough stuff to consider, but when you are talking Buffalo trace it is hard to think of a product that is not good! :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:40 am

Does BT have a pre-fabricated label for a barrel-proof Pappy? Remember, there are so many hoops to jump through to get a new label approved that they were reluctant to sell us a product that deviated too far.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:14 am

OneCubeOnly wrote:Does BT have a pre-fabricated label for a barrel-proof Pappy? Remember, there are so many hoops to jump through to get a new label approved that they were reluctant to sell us a product that deviated too far.

I'm afraid that's the real showstopper. Now that Eagle Rare above is 14 years but still only 90 Proof. Unfortunately I’m unable to decipher anything from the label, but it seams to me as though there’s some sort of extra thing around the neck.
I guess as long as you’re willing to pay the price you could have your own label – Binnys has a special Van Winkle 18YO.
The Whiskey Viking

Unread postby parshooter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:04 pm

So the difference between regular-prduction BT and the bottles of the group buy is that the group's was from a single barrel as opposed to a blend from different barrels? Are there other differences also?
parshooter

Unread postby Mark » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:07 pm

parshooter wrote:So the difference between regular-prduction BT and the bottles of the group buy is that the group's was from a single barrel as opposed to a blend from different barrels? Are there other differences also?

That's about it bourbon wise... Only other differences is the medallion which they did only for us and they numbered each bottle individually. They don't barrel BT for just anyone, so we were told (though I have seen it done for Sams and Binnys as well), so it is even more special to Bob and I at least.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby parshooter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:14 pm

I am excited to have one and hope I can get in on the next barrel when it comes about 8)
parshooter

Unread postby Mark » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:21 pm

parshooter wrote:I am excited to have one and hope I can get in on the next barrel when it comes about 8)

Oh don't worry, from the sounds of most who got in on this one and with many new prospects seems we can do something down the road... And since it seems we may be able to get more people involved while it may mean less bottles per person, maybe we can do something a bit more $$. Hmmm... :D
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:10 am

Well, thanks to the efforts of Dave G. and Gary, the single barrel BT has finally made it to our bunker. I haven't cracked open a bottle yet, but Gary was kind enough to offer a us a sample of an open bottle he had, side by side with regular old BT, both in a Reidel glass no less.

My initial impressions from that one tasting were WOW. A very creamy mouth as I think Dave G and Bob said, plus I get big time caramel...and not exactly candy corn as Bob does, but there IS a candy-like quality to it that I'm having trouble putting into words. On first impression, I didn't get any spiciness at all, but I guess I've got plenty of opportunities to go back and look for it now!

Compared to the standard BT, the difference was striking. BT seemed very hot and spicy compared to our BT SB. Oddly, though, I thought the noses were extremely similar, almost identical.

I'm not much of an orchestra guy, but I completely get your analogy. I tend to think of them more as acoustic (ours) vs. electric versions (standard). There is the original version known by many, and then there is the special acoustic reinterpretation that is VERY different, yet still the same song. Sometimes those reinterpretations don't work at all, but sometimes they work so well they exceed the original - like ours!

Once again, thanks to all who included us in this endeavor, and a special thanks to Dave G and Gary for helping us actually get it. And finally, if anyone REALLY wanted to have BT SB bottle number 166, let us know - we have two! :lol:
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Brewer » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:13 pm

angelshare wrote:
My initial impressions from that one tasting were WOW.

On, first impression, I didn't get any spiciness at all, but I guess I've got plenty of opportunities to go back and look for it now!

And finally, if anyone REALLY wanted to have BT SB bottle number 166, let us know - we have two! :lol:

You said it Dave, WOW it is! I'm glad you got yours. How does it compare to your recollection of that small sample I was able to bring you? Most of the folks that have tasted this refer to tasting a lot of spiciness, but you're the first that has noted no spiciness, as I have. I've looked for it, but haven't found it yet. Let us know if you do!

2 bottles of 166! Very interesting. Did you get 165 and 167?
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:28 pm

How does it compare to your recollection of that small sample I was able to bring you?

I'm straining to make a specific comparison. The sample you brought us (and thanks again for going to that trouble) I remember as rich but hotter - obviously, proof was a big factor there. I seem to remember getting more vanilla than caramel and no "candy", but that buttery/creamy mouth is quite similar between the two as best as I recall. Once again, take that with a grain of salt, but that's my memory.

2 bottles of 166! Very interesting. Did you get 165 and 167?

Yep!
Attachments
btherd.jpg
The buffalo herd currently residing in our house!
btherd.jpg (142.51 KiB) Viewed 11650 times
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby Mark » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:54 pm

Oh, what a beautiful picture Dave... Brings a :cry: to my eye. :lol:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:13 am

Dave,

I LOVE that picture! :D Damn that's nice! :D
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby angelshare » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:23 pm

Mark wrote:Oh, what a beautiful picture Dave... Brings a :cry: to my eye. :lol:

Mine, too, especially when I think about what an endangered species it is around here!
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby The Whiskey Viking » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:05 am

angelshare wrote:Mine, too, especially when I think about what an endangered species it is around here!

Hi

I'm with the United Nations Endangered Species Program (UNESP).
In the interest of preserving this species I strongly urge you to send at least 2 – preferably 5-10 individuals directly to me. We’re conducting breeding programs as well as establishing a “save heaven” for those poor creatures. In the interest of a diverse gene pool, please send only the one specimen #166 :wink:

Thomas - Pastime Veterinarian :reindeer:
The Whiskey Viking

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings