Wild Turkey Tribute

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:22 pm

Maybe we should all fly to Japan to visit Koji and pick up some Tribute! Not a bad idea for a vacation, actually.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Wild Turkey Tribute Press Release

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:37 pm

For Immediate Release

WILD TURKEY BOURBON OFFERS "TRIBUTE" TO COMMEMORATE THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF MASTER DISTILLER JIMMY RUSSELL

LAWRENCEBURG, KENTUCKY - Pernod Ricard USA announces the release of Wild Turkey Tribute, a limited edition, 15-year old, small batch bourbon to commemorate Master Distiller Jimmy Russell's fifty years of service at the world famous Wild Turkey Bourbon Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.

Produced in a very limited quantity of 5,500 bottles, Wild Turkey Tribute is hand selected by Jimmy from a unique batch of sweet "sugar-barrels" which he set aside 15 years ago. The specially designed 750ml bottle and stylish wood case, in which it is packaged, will be available nationally in September.

Bottled at 101 proof to retain the flavor and characteristics of a true bourbon, Wild Turkey Tribute has an authentic bourbon nose, rich with sweetness and corn. Its smooth, clean full-bodied flavor delivers a balance of caramel and vanilla, and the finish is highlighted by subtle wood and spice tones.

Jimmy Russell is only the third master distiller in the storied history of Wild Turkey Bourbon," said Joe Uranga, global brand director, Wild Turkey Bourbon. "This homage to Jimmy is a true reflection of his half-century of passion and commitment to making Wild Turkey Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, the world's greatest bourbon."

Revered by many whisky aficionados as the greatest and wisest distiller in the world, Jimmy is living proof that dedication, perseverance and a commitment to quality are the foundation for success. "It is only fitting that Wild Turkey Tribute? embodies the authenticity, heritage and tradition that Jimmy has represented in his fifty years at Wild Turkey," said Uranga.

Wild Turkey Bourbon is America's best-selling, premium bourbon. Carefully crafted in the heart of Kentucky, Wild Turkey uses the finest natural ingredients and time-honored distilling traditions to create its distinctive, superior taste.

For More Information, Contact:
Joseph A. Moscone jmoscone@hunterpr.com
Hunter Public Relations
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:11 pm

doubleblank wrote:Bob....You might remember that I also loved the nose on this Tribute. It smelled of sweet cherries and port.....I even looked at the label to see if it was double barreled (I knew it wasn't....but where did that sweet nose come from?). Very special bourbon! I may open one of mine soon.

Randy

Yes Randy, I do remember your fondness for the wonderful aromas as we all were very impressed with our initial contact with "Tribute". And I'd agree that you should open one up. Maybe on 11/7, you should open one up and think of us hanging out with Jimmy at LeNell's in Brooklyn! :partyman:

Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Brewer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:15 pm

tlsmothers wrote:THE BIRD HAS LANDED! 25 cases have hit NYC. I'm so glad I'm gonna be able to keep my pricing around Kentucky pricing! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Can you tell I'm excited! This has been a good bourbon day for me. Now I'm just trying to figure out how many of those 25/6 bottle cases I can afford to order. :(

Oh, yeah, and now Pernod Ricard has offered to pay for one of my customers to join me and Jimmy having dinner at BlueSmoke Nov. 7th after our store tasting.

If you'd like for me to set aside Tribute bottles for you, just lemme know!

Yeah LeNell! Congrats on your landing the Tribute bird! :cheers: I think I'll grab one of your Tributes for Jimmy to sign. Do you think he'll bring any 12 Year Old along??? Lookin forward to seeing you then. BTW, Nancy's coming to WhiskyFest with me. Hope you and Ben will be there.

Bob
Brewer

PHOTOS OF PACKAGING

Unread postby Dave » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:03 am

IMHO it has to be the most beautifully put together spirits packaging I've ever put my hands on. OK, I'd have to admit that it's 1/3, perhaps 1/2 marketing hype, but I'm and advertising/marketing guy, so it has me completely sold.

For those of you who haven't seen it close up, here are the details.

CLICK HERE Wooden Package with elastic closure and Wood Button

The wooden box is thin laminate veneer, perhaps birch, with the Wild Turkey emblem branded on the top panel and on the frontpiece.

CLICK HERE Two sided medal medalion attached to neck

CLICK HERE Embossed Cork

Inside the box is also an explanatary card. All labelling is exquisitely printed.

Even if you're not a WT fan, you've got to admit, they've gone all out on this one.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Unread postby Mark » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:51 am

The only WT bottling that beat it IMO is the wild turkey 17 bottle and box. Check it out in the database. I love the pewter bottom and the redwood or cherry box, whatever that color wood is, it is very nice.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:40 pm

Just to let you know, I just posted a review of the Tribute. Just enter Wild Turkey Tribute in the "Find by Bottling Name" and click on find bourbon. Then scroll down. Let me know what you think.
Brewer

Unread postby TrueBarrel » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:51 pm

Brewer wrote:Just to let you know, I just posted a review of the Tribute. Just enter Wild Turkey Tribute in the "Find by Bottling Name" and click on find bourbon. Then scroll down. Let me know what you think.

Very good review. Not suprisingly, some of your tasting notes could equally apply to KS or RB. Putting aside limitedness and collectibility (i.e. if it was simply a new addition to the lineup), in your view is it significantly better than KS or RB to merit costing more than twice as much?
TrueBarrel

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:11 pm

TrueBarrel wrote: Putting aside limitedness and collectibility (i.e. if it was simply a new addition to the lineup), in your view is it significantly better than KS or RB to merit costing more than twice as much?

TB,

I think that I'd have to say that it IS worth extra money in my opinion, however, I'm not sure I'd say it's worth twice as much. I will tell you that in KY, we had an opportunity to try it side by side with the WT KY Legend, (thanks Chris) which had previously been my favorite bottling. It is also a limited bottling, and although I don't know what a bottle of the Legend costs, I do believe that the Tribute is better than the Legend.

Bob
Brewer

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:23 pm

I don't know what a bottle of the Legend costs, I do believe that the Tribute is better than the Legend.

Wow. I can't wait to try it. Chris shared a taste of the Legend, but I was napping during the Tribute tasting. :sad11:
tlsmothers

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:30 pm

LeNell,

What was your impression of the Legend?
Brewer

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:18 pm

My recollection is a very smooth, rich, full-bodied flavor. I didn't take time to dissect and note-take. Honestly, I think I should have another sip to refresh my memory. :lol:
tlsmothers

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:27 pm

This is in reply to LeNell's comments about New York Whiskeyfest. Her characterization of it degenerating into a drunkfest late in the evening does not seem to describe Chicago Whiskeyfest and I wonder if anyone has attended both and could comment on that.

It could be that since I, unlike LeNell, am not an attractive female, I don't have direct experience of the bad behavior of the more inebriated participants. Chicago, even late in the event, seems like a pretty dignified affair.

Except for the time when three working girls and their pimp got in and started passing out business cards, but that's a story for another day.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:46 pm

Except for the time when three working girls and their pimp got in and started passing out business cards, but that's a story for another day.

Chuck, you just don't know how much I needed that laugh. :laughing5: I haven't had a chance to go to any others. Last year's NY event was my first. There was a lot of pushing around the tables at one point, especially at Buffalo Trace. My Saz guy was getting mauled by folks asking him how to get the whiskey outside the Fest. I got some nasty looks when I turned down Scotches saying I was only focusing on bourbon for the night. Made some great contacts, but whew! I ain't never seen so many yamukah's at a whiskey event in my life (and Ben's Jewish).
tlsmothers

Unread postby tlsmothers » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:40 pm

Well, I thought 25 cases came to NY, but no one seems to know what really is going on. UGH :banghead: I got 42 bottles at least.
tlsmothers

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings