Wild Turkey Tribute

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Unread postby angelshare » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:23 pm

At the risk of sounding like a dissenter, which I don't really mean to be, Tribute has generated more bourbon ambivalence within me than any bottle ever has. It has nothing to do with the quality of the whiskey, which is superior, to say the least. It all goes back to the marketing/hype/pricing thing.

When I first heard about the ~$100 price tag, I thought, "No *&%$ing way am I going to lay out that kind of money for Tribute." I was more than a little annoyed that the lion's share was headed for export anyway.

But then we toured WT (along with some folks here) with none other than Jimmy Russell as our tour guide. We got swept up in the whole WT mystique. Next thing I know, Tina & I are the Liquor Barn rationalizing. "Well, we could have bought some crappy WT souvenir jacket, but we didn't, so this would REALLY be more like $50 instead of $80 if you factor that in..." You guessed it. We bought it.

THEN Jimmy Russell showed up at the General Nelson during the Bourbon Festival, so we had to ask him to sign the bottle, which he did most graciously while wandering around the parking lot looking for suitable lighting.

So now we have a signed bottle up on the shelf. We have always held the philosophy that whiskey is for drinking, not for watching. But DANGED if I'm not REALLY torn about opening that bottle.

So here we are a month later. We have our souvenir, but, if we keep it sealed, we have none to enjoy. Do I buy another bottle? Back to square one - if I do, I've been sucked in to the Tribute thing for $160-180 - not including time spent searching and travelling to get it. That's easily 4 bottles of Stagg (all of which I would consume) for ONE "drinking" bottle of Tribute. But if we open that bottle, at least in the next 20 years, it just doesn't seem right!

I'm in a neverending cycle: "I HATE Tribute...oh, Tribute, I can't stay mad at you..."
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby tlsmothers » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:45 pm

Angelshare, I'm really tickled reading your post. Can you imagine being Mark with that incredible stash he has? :lol:
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby OneCubeOnly » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:10 pm

Dave--

You're stuck with your Tribute the same way I'm stuck with my Ridgewood Reserve. I don't collect, and these originals have gone for over $80 apiece on eBay. I can't legally ship them, and I wouldn't sleep at night if I insisted on $80 from an enthusiast friend. The taste certainly doesn't live up to their potential collector value if I drink them myself, so there they sit.

I need a collector to tell me "I really want those for my collection" so I can just *GIVE* the things away at the Gazebo. Or trade 'em for something I can drink without guilt.
OneCubeOnly

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:51 am

Great posts! For all the reasons laid out above I'm resistent to start seeking signed bottles. Don't get me wrong if I were in Angel's shoes I'd have obviously done the same thing (ask Jimmy if he'd sign), but with the same reluctance.

I have too many un-opened bottles as it is - and I'm not a collector either. I figure if there's ever another Great Flood, I'll be set for a pretty good while. Now all I need is to borrow an Arc. . .

I think it's best you get another bottle (if you can spare the $).
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby Dave » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:37 am

Dave & Tina. clearly you're not obsessive, but somewhat compulsive. But you've certainly done the right thing. Can you not enjoy your purchase as a trophy of your adventure in KY and the beautiful packaging alone? Can you not view the contents as worthy of remaining intact by virtue of your respect for the distillery, the man, and the consistent quality that Wild Turkey continues to offer the marketplace? Name one other distillery that performs its duties with such effortless consistency. Look around your house and see if you have EVER made a purchase based on packaging, marketing hype, peer pressure.... I'm sure you'll quickly see many things that surround you every day. Heck, it's the American way. Then why are you kicking yourself for purchasing ONE bottle of something that is dear to your soul? Get over it and go buy another bottle. :lol:
Dave

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:14 am

Dave & Tina - Sure it's nice to have an autographed bottle, but guess what :?: even if you drink the bourbon - you still have an autographed bottle :!:

Everyone knows that "whiskey don't keep"!

DRINK IT, MAN, DRINK IT!

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
bunghole

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:08 pm

Guess what I'm doing right now? DRINKIN' IT, MAN, DRINKIN' IT!

Between Antique Collection, Tribute, our barrel of BT, planning a huge Halloween Block party in front of my store, not to mention being sorta homeless while we gut our house...this has been one helluva month with many sleepless nights. Ah...this bourbon feels so good! (Calm begins to set in...)
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby Nokia » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:59 pm

Having attended 4 WhiskyFests I will second LeNells remarks about the drunken moments toward the second half. People tend to get a bit pushy and stumble into one another at that time.

But if you take a few precautions it is a wonderful event.

First, make sure to take it easy, look at the list of whisky being poured and try to plan what you want to taste beforehand. Do you really need to taste Old Forester 100 proof for the 20th time? Know that you can only "taste" so much before you burn out your taste buds, so head to the things you have never tried first.

Take advantage of the small tastings toward the middle of the evening. This gets you into a quieter setting just when things get the loudest out on the main floor, and it is a chance to sit down and slow down for 30-45 min. This is also a good time to meet up with friends.

Don't be afraid to check out some of the products you don't know. Often these tables are manned by people who really want to share their knowledge and you might learn something.

And last, after the big push it tends to thin out toward the end and those who still have there wits may find a pour of something that was not offered to those you were falling over.

Hope to see some of you there!
Nokia

Unread postby White Lightning » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:11 am

Wow I'm sort of amazed that it seems common that people get pushy etc. I have been to about 10 different spirits tastings where drinks were of no limit. I do recall one incident where there was a brief educational lecture that took place and some guy had apparently already gotten hammered from the drinks available. . . He knocked over (half) a table full of single malts what seemed accidental at first, but then when the brand spokesperson began to speak the jerk took a knife or fork and began to tap a glass - as if he didn't already have enough attention from knocking over a good 10 shots that had been pre-placed at the table he knocked over. . .

That was an embarrassing moment that I'll never forget and I expected the cast of Candid Camera to pop out of a secret door at any moment. With the exception of that one incident, the rest of the events I've been to have gone off suprisingly smooth.
ψ£
White Lightning

Unread postby angelshare » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:54 pm

Sure it's nice to have an autographed bottle, but guess what :?: even if you drink the bourbon - you still have an autographed bottle :!:

Wise words, and I suspect this is the philosophy that will rule the day. I guess the real dilemma is whether it is worth $80-100 plus effort to have the experience of savoring the whiskey WHILE looking at a sealed autographed bottle. I'm sure Tim has some thoughts on this! :lol:

As for LeNell's comment about Mark's collection...ahh, if only we had the same stress and strife that this must cause.
"Tina, should we open the Pappy 20 tonight?"
"I wanted the Pappy 23!"
"But we just had that eighteen bottles ago!"
"No, that was the Pappy 15!"
"Oh, yeah. Boy, that was good, too."
"I know - let's have one of each!"
"I love you, dear."
"I love you, too, Pappy...I mean, Dave."
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby tlsmothers » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:22 pm

Love it!
tlsmothers

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:07 pm

angelshare wrote:I'm sure Tim has some thoughts on this! :lol:

Ya think!?
A preface: I collected U.S. coins from the time I was about 8 years old until I could no longer afford any of the ones for which I still didn't have examples. I no longer own any coins.
My point is, I guess, that even collectibles are 'perishable'. I have several bourbons that few others have, and I enjoy just being able to look at them on the sideboard or on the shelf and know that I have them. I'm in no hurry -- in fact, I'm deliberately dawdling -- to open many of them. BUT -- in the end, they will be opened, preferrably to note some special occasion or guest. When I'm drinking alone in front of the computer of TV, I may as well be having Weller 12 or some other nice pour I know I'll be able to readily replace. If Dave and Tina stop by, they can have anything on the shelf.
Enyoy it for a while, Dave -- when that special moment arrives that warrants that special bottle, well, you'll know it.
TNbourbon

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:19 pm

Wow I'm sort of amazed that it seems common that people get pushy etc.

New Yorkers? Pushy?
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:46 pm

cowdery wrote:
New Yorkers? Pushy?
:o

None that I know of. :scratch: :wink: Well then again there are a few strangers that can be. It seems there's always somebody that's gotta be disrespectful to others, even amongst "friends". I bet there are some out there that would rather move someone out of their way than to say "excuse me". :angry4: :cussing: :banghead:
Brewer

Unread postby angelshare » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:03 am

If Dave and Tina stop by, they can have anything on the shelf.
Enyoy it for a while, Dave -- when that special moment arrives that warrants that special bottle, well, you'll know it.

Wow, I'm working on my wish list now! Hope you don't mind if we stay for a few days! :lol:

Actually, your shelf is safe for the foreseeable future. Doubt we'll be "stopping by" anyone's house in another state antime soon. Travel is not as easy thing these days, and I suspect it will get even harder for a while.

Anticipation is a fun part of bourbon enthusiasm. Even though they're not Tribute, here are several new bottles we have that are unopened and will probably remain so for the next several months - 4 Roses SB, Stagg 03 (thanks Tim!), ORVW 15 year...these are bottles that are hard to come by due to rarity, geography, price, etc. that we just won't crack open on a whim.

I think one thing that sets the Tribute aside is that even friends and family who aren't bourbon enthusiasts look at that bottle with the signature and say, "wow, that's cool!" You certainly don't get that kind of reaction just showing them a bottle of Stagg or WT 12 year. It is part of the "shelf" that most people can appreciate at some level.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

PreviousNext

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings