New to Bourbon Need Advice

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

New to Bourbon Need Advice

Unread postby DacMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi everyone,
I am new to the higher end bourbon scene and have recently been introduced to a few different bourbon's by my boss. I know very little and apologize if I come across as inexperienced but honestly I am! I will soon be leaving my summer internship and heading back to college and would really like to give my boss a nice bottle of bourbon as a thank you for all he's done for me. However I don't know where to start. I would like to spend right around $100.00 however I don't know where to purchase good bourbon and not get ripped off, and I certainly don't know what to get him. I live in central Indiana and was hoping to get some pappy van winkle but could not find any so far. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, DacMan
DacMan

Re: New to Bourbon Need Advice

Unread postby NeoTexan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Not sure where "central Indiana" puts you but Indianapolis has Kahn's and there is also Vine and Table. With enough notice one or two of us may even be able to meet you and assist you in your selection process. There is a large bourbon community in Indy.
NeoTexan

Unread postby DacMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Wow thanks, I appreciate the offer. Do you have any ideas of a good bourbon they carry? He has a extensive bourbon collection but I know he doesn't have eagle rare 17 (I think it's way out of my budget) but I know he also likes vintage, and pappy van winkle.
DacMan

Unread postby MauiSon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:59 am

Too bad you're not in Hawaii (a truism). Have I found a bottle for your boss - real vintage - M & M straight bourbon whiskey bottled in 1980 (5 year age statement) and just under your 'limit'. :shock: OTOH, a Vintage Rye 23 can be found here in your range, though it doesn't seem to command the best reviews.
MauiSon

Unread postby MacinJosh » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:20 pm

DacMan wrote:Hi everyone,
I am new to the higher end bourbon scene and have recently been introduced to a few different bourbon's by my boss. I know very little and apologize if I come across as inexperienced but honestly I am! I will soon be leaving my summer internship and heading back to college and would really like to give my boss a nice bottle of bourbon as a thank you for all he's done for me. However I don't know where to start. I would like to spend right around $100.00 however I don't know where to purchase good bourbon and not get ripped off, and I certainly don't know what to get him. I live in central Indiana and was hoping to get some pappy van winkle but could not find any so far. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, DacMan

Hello DacMan,

Born and raised in Indiana (Columbus) and now live up here on the North side of Indy in Noblesville.

I would suggest you stop in at the Vine & Table in Carmel like Dale mentioned. Denis (the Spirits manager) is very helpful and knows what he's talking about. He'll be able to give you several suggestions for a bottle. Just tell him Josh or Dale sent you.

Off the top of my head and knowing what he has in stock, I'd recommend:

Parker's Heritage Collection Cognac (PHC) Finish
Colonel Taylor "Tornado Surviving”
Four Roses 2012 Limited Edition
Jefferson’s Presidential Selection 18yr

All of those are top shelf bourbons and under $100. There are plenty more I can’t think of and that’s where Denis can assist you.

Don’t get too caught up in the “Pappy Van Winkle Hysteria”. It’s not worth your time and effort. It’s very good bourbon, yes, but it’s not the only very good bourbon on the planet by any stretch of the imagination.

If you’re looking for Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC), you can usually find Eagle Rare (ER) 17 in the area as well as Thomas H. Handy, but the later is a rye and you didn’t mention if your boss likes ryes. And ER 17 is definitely under $100.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions or need any more help, just PM me or post here.

Cheers!
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby NeoTexan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:26 pm

What Josh said.....
NeoTexan

Unread postby DacMan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:17 am

Thank You everyone you have been incredibly helpful. I will head over to vine and table and see what Denis thinks. THANKS AGAIN!
DacMan

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings