Evan Williams 7 year old 90 Proof

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Evan Williams 7 year old 90 Proof

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:15 pm

I live in California, and recently was able to purchase a bottle of Evan Williams black label . . . but at 90 proof. It looked as tho this bottle was about 22 years old as I compared the labels to my current bottle of Evan Willams 7 year old. It had a "200 years" label on the neck of the bottle which should place it at about 1983. It also showed a shoulder label of "90proof" That piqued my interest; the Evan Willams 7 year old is now at 86 proof. The label also was crowing about it being distilled in COPPER stills which I know the current Evan Williams black label is not.

The liquor store owner was actually dusting the bottle off as he was bringing it out from the back room. (I went in trying to find a bottle of EWSB). On tasting this timewarp treasure, I found that it had a fruitier nose. The taste was a little smoother!

Now, I don't want to say this was better than Evan Williams of today, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience of an earlier bottle of EW. ALSO, when did they go from 90 to 86 proof?

I think I can get a couple of more bottles of this stuff. Am I fooling myself, or is it better than the current Evan Williams 7 year old? I also have a bottle of EWSB 1987, and you know, I think the Evan Willams 90 proof is even better than the '87!

Anyone?
BourbonBalls

Unread postby Strayed » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:00 pm

Evan Williams black went from 90 proof to 86 only a short time ago (a year or two maybe). I agree with you that the taste was better at the higher proof.

YOU HAVE EWSB 1987??!!!

I would trade one of my cats for a bottle of EWSB 1987.
I would kiss Bunghole for a bottle of EWSB 1987.
I would seek out and register with other foru... (well, ya gotta draw a line somewhere).

We have a bottle (actually more, but one on display) of every year EWSB produced, except for 1987.
Attachments
EWSB.jpg
All but one in a row
EWSB.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
EWSB2.jpg
The missing link
EWSB2.jpg (93.35 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:47 am

Nice collection John!

Yep..I have a bottle of '87, but it's about 1/3rd gone...about like the bottles in your collection....Nope...I didnt have to kiss Bunghole to get it, I found it on a top shelf at a liquor store here in Burbank. I also found a bottle of Bookers aged 6 years there too. I figured it was from about the same time as the barreling label is slightly different from the Bookers of today. The wax and cork were a little crumbly too, on both the Bookers and '87.

As I said, the '87 was nothing to crow about, but I sure admire HH for starting the vintage line in 1986, as it seems by '94 for sure they got it down!

I don't know if its because California is wine country, or so far from KY, or what but I figure if I just stumbled on these bottles there must be more of these types of treasures out here....I'll start lookin

BUT.... does anyone know about my original question of when Evan Williams 7 year old went from 90 to 86 proof?
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:50 am

Whoops! I do see that John DID answer the question! Thanks John.....
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:17 pm

John....here's some pics of the '87 bottle..and the back with the barrel info
BourbonBalls

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:16 pm

John...looks like the pics didnt go...let me try again....sorry!
Attachments
EWSB 87-back1.jpg
EWSB 87-back1.jpg (18.29 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
EWSB 87-front1.jpg
EWSB 87-front1.jpg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
EWSB 87-WS1.jpg
EWSB 87-WS1.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
BourbonBalls

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:05 pm

What a wonderful thread! Such pretty bottles!

It's very difficult to put such a collection together, and takes a lot of dedication and quite a few years.

Thanks All!

ima
bunghole

Unread postby Strayed » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:28 pm

Mike, beautifully photographed. Thanks!
Linn, thank you, too.
=JOHN= (the "Jaye" part of "L & J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
Strayed

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:33 am

John....I've been giving it some thought....

If you are ever in California (Burbank area) this [partial] bottle of EWSB '87 is yours! You have such a great collection, and I'd like to help you keep it together. How about a trade of a bottle of '94? Thats such good stuff, and I can't get it here!

Anyway, let me know if you ever are out this way. We'll sip one together!
BourbonBalls

Good People

Unread postby NeoTexan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:56 am

That offer just confims to me that bourbon drinkers are some of the best people on the planet!

Michael, if you are EVER in Ohio (or even close to Ohio) you better let us know. I would be honored to raise a glass or two with you. :partyman:

Have you eve considered making the trip to the Bourbon Festival? I think you would be a welcome addition to our little gathering.
NeoTexan

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings