Julian's in Town

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Julian's in Town

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:10 am

Hey, pals! Julian just informed me he's gonna be around NY Wed. April 20th. Get those bottles signed and have a taste of whiskey with us from 5-8pm while he's hanging with me at the store. We'll have both 10 years, the 12, the Pappy 15, and the 20 open. If I can remember where I hid that darn bottle of 23 year, I'll share a sip with board members who visit with me that night. We'll just have to be discreet. All 23 sold out. If you haven't tried the rye, lemme know and I'll share a sip of that with you, as well. We'll just do it quietly since it's not a part of the general tasting.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby White Lightning » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:03 am

Thanks!! Wish I could be there!! :wink:
ψ£
White Lightning

23 Year

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:50 pm

Julian just told me that he's bringing a preview of the 23 year that's coming out later this year. Hope to see you tomorrow!
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:57 pm

LeNell, it may take me a year to manage both time and finances, but I'm plotting a NYC trip -- it's been 10 years since my last one, and I very much want to come by and visit New York's best bourbon selection.
In the meantime, thanks for keeping us posted and living vicariously through your many tastings and events.
TNbourbon

Unread postby tlsmothers » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:04 pm

You know you are welcome anytime. Maybe by the time you visit, our house will be finished and I can actually offer a homey place to stay.
tlsmothers

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri May 06, 2005 2:40 am

Sorry it took so long to post on the event. I've been a mad woman, overworked and underpaid. :lol: :lol: My boss is a bitch and never gives me any time off. :wink:

Julian was his usual charming self. The crowd was not really a crowd this visit...more of a slow trickle, but we had a good time. Julian brought the Pappy 15, the 12 Lot B, Pappy 20 and 23. Too little of the 10 around any more to actually taste folks on it. Grab it while you can. I can't even order the 10 90 proof any more and can barely get the 12 now. It's becoming scarce. Take Chuck's advice and hoard up what you can afford.

NYTIMES showed up to take pictures. If you check out http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/04/dining/04bour.html?, you can see Julian's arm in the lower left corner and that's me in the overalls.

We had a nice dinner after the tasting on the roof of a local Mexican joint with a lovely view of lower Manhattan, wrapping up the evening with a pour of the former 15 at a local bar called Moonshine. Damn! It's good and I sorely miss it. If anyone finds any of the short squat 15, I'll trade ya.

The new 23 should be out around the end of the year, holiday-time. I still prefer the 20 year. Just better balanced to me. Julian was kind enough to leave me his samples so if you are around, stop in for a taste with me.
tlsmothers

Unread postby TNbourbon » Fri May 06, 2005 8:44 am

Julian also put in an extended visit to the General Nelson Gazebo in Bardstown after the Bourbon Sampler last Saturday, and brought some special bottles noted elsewhere.
He also confirmed that the last of the Stitzel-Weller Lot B will be bottled this summer (do the math -- S-W closed in 1992, and it's now 13 years later). The 10yos already are Bernheim whiskey.
The bottling date for the 23yo is Dec. 7, the day it turns 23, according to Julian. Also, happily for him, I suspect, in time to get it in stores by Christmas. He tasted some of us on the 22-1/2yo at his Sampler table. Excellent, as are all his bottlings.
I've managed to put back 5 ORVW15s (all Frankfort, I think), picking up another one in Bowling Green, KY last week en route to the Sampler. I left one on the shelf with regret, but wanted the cash for other things. But, it's still out there occasionally.
(I also found some W.L. Weller 19yo, but that store didn't want to sell it to us ordinary people, apparently -- his 4 bottles were $225 each!)
TNbourbon

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri May 06, 2005 11:32 pm

I'm willing to pay for/trade for old 15. Keep me in mind if you ever see it around. I plan on being at the Festival, although we had to miss the Sampler this time.
tlsmothers

Unread postby docholiday » Mon May 09, 2005 2:45 pm

I just came across 3 of the old squat bottle of VW15. I have stocked up on enough for my own needs ( I think). My office is in lower manhattan. Not far from you. If you are interested in them let me know.
docholiday

Unread postby tlsmothers » Wed May 18, 2005 5:45 pm

Let's PM to figure something out! Thanks!
tlsmothers

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings