Colonel E H Taylor Bottled in Bond Whiskey

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

Colonel E H Taylor Bottled in Bond Whiskey

Unread postby Mike » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 pm

This whiskey has been mentioned before on BE by Mike Veach and Chuck Cowdery, but as far as I know it is only now becoming available in its limited quantities. I purchased my bottle from Sigman Bottle Shop in Conyers, GA and paid $73. If memory serves me right, it is about 8 years old (distilled in 2002) and was produced by Buffalo Trace Distillery. If I am wrong, Mike Veach can correct me.

NOSE
The aroma of this whiskey is warm, thick, rich, and grainy (excellent quality dried hay). There is a bit of oak, a bit of rye, a bit of vanilla, a bit of cinnamon, and a bit of nutmeg playing around in the background. A little different from many bourbon noses.

TASTE
This bourbon is extraordinarly rich and thick on the palate. The sweetness seems honey like in its consistency. As the bourbon makes its way slowly across the mouth, the roof and tongue are both coated with the sweet essence and are like the wail from a perfectly tuned and played cornet. The sweetness has some vanilla and maple qualities to make it even richer and bring in the clarinet, along with some cream playing sax. About mid-palate the oak tannins break into a drumbeat and the sharp clang of cymbals arrives with the rye. Ever in the background is the bass fiddle playing the grainy part. This is a multi-dimensional bourbon of great complexity and balance. As I poke about among all the flavors, I find something remeniscent of green peas and vegatative matter, adding (IMO) to the interest and uniqueness of this bourbon.

FINISH
The finish is pretty dry and seems older than its 8 Years to me, but the rich flavors go out in a finale that sums up the parts in its original melody.

CONCLUSION
Reminds me of no other bourbon. Delightfully rich and creamy, interestingly complex and evolving, superb balancing of many disparate elements. A bourbon to be contemplated in a leasurely fashion. To be sure it is not an inexpensive bourbon, and for some that puts it out of range. If you can wrangle a sip or two, I recommend that you do so. In my estimation it is in the same class as the best of the Four Roses Bourbons, or the Parker's Heritage Bourbons, and let me go out on a limb here and say that it is (my opinion only) a bit superior to the William LaRue Weller Bourbons, and the George T Stagg Bourbons in its complexity. Some may find its uniqueness a limiting factor, but not this fellow.

BEAM! BEAM! A really nice 120 proof Single Barrel Knob Creek (Booker's is near great, Baker's is excellent, Basil Hayden is only drinkable at best) is not enough to keep you in the game with the recent superb releases from Four Roses, Heaven Hill, or Buffalo Trace, or even the interesting work of Chris Morris at Brown Foreman. I know you can make great profits with White, but us enthusiasts have little to say in high praise of your lineup. You have nothing that even comes close to the new Taylor whiskey.............. shame on you!
Last edited by Mike on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Colonel E H Taylor Bottled in Bond Whiskey

Unread postby howardf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks for the nice review. I've been on the lookout for this around here, but I haven't seen any yet. Hopefully we're just late, and I didn't miss it.
howardf

Unread postby birdman1099 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 pm

I've been looking as well, Howard... no dice....
birdman1099

Unread postby vince » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:07 am

I was fortunate to pick up two bottles and I agree with Mike's review of the bourbon. I think the bourbon is rich and complex and I also think the finish is long, complex and quite amazing
vince

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings