BT Demonstrates Another Way To Sour A Mash.

Talk about rare, export, annual release and other types of similar bottlings here.

Moderator: Squire

BT Demonstrates Another Way To Sour A Mash.

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 am

Yesterday BT announced the imminent release of the first of the expected up-market whiskeys coming out under the Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. brand. The press release for Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr. Old Fashioned Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey claimed that BT "has recreated his traditional sour mash and produced a limited edition, one-time offering."

Unfortunately, the press release didn't go on to tell me anything I wanted to know so, naturally, I started to bug Buffalo Trace to tell me more. Today I spent a few minutes with BT Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley and he answered all of my questions. What they used is a souring method that doesn't involve spent mash, which we have talked about here before in the history section and which Mike Veach has referenced from his work with the Taylor-Hay papers.

If you want to know more go to my blog post about it here.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: BT Demonstrates Another Way To Sour A Mash.

Unread postby vince » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:50 am

I am really looking forward to trying this bourbon. Hopefully it will be better than the "sweet mash" Woodford limited release which I really didnt care for. Any idea on the actual release date?
vince

Unread postby cowdery » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:08 am

They should start to ship it at the end of March. It will get to the stores soon after that, but if you're interested don't wait. Talk to your whiskey monger now. Quantities are so limited this will probably never see a shelf.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 am

Fed Ex should be dropping mine off today or tomorrow I have 2 bottles coming.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Return to Enthusiast Bottlings