Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby Wasatch » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:00 pm

Listening to some tunes and having some Ridgemont Reserve 1792 with some Ginger Ale over the rocks. :D
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Raven 6 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:00 pm

George T Stagg on distilled ice this 'sevening. Toasting a young man that left this world way before his time. Cheers Cameron
Raven 6

Unread postby William » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:22 am

Tried to buy Tom SIms at Specs again, but I guess because it was put on sale they sold out and the distributor isnt stocking it to them right now. I was so good, but I bought a bottle of Old Forrester because of the reviews on here, really great, I can drink it straight and the flavors ride the alcohol. Very good.
William

Unread postby JPBoston » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:00 am

Going to enjoy some Knob Creek (neat) while watching The Wire with my wife tonight.

Cute story --- I always have my wife try my bourbon every time I get a new bottle, in hope that she'll eventually be turned on to the hobby. Last night I gave her a 1-finger glass of KC, didn't warn her to 'sip it slow' like I usually do, cause she's always so cautious and 'girly' when it comes to whiskey. But this time, she chose to slam it down like a shot... and got quite the surprise (the last whiskey I had her try was actually J&B Scotch, lol --- so she was not prepared for the KC burn at all). ;)
JPBoston

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Having some Elijah Craig (Neat) this afternoon.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Hey JPBoston, make her try some Four Roses Small Batch. She will love it!

Gayle
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby JPBoston » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:Hey JPBoston, make her try some Four Roses Small Batch. She will love it!

Gayle

Four Roses is definitely on the list! So the small batch is worth the price hike? I can get FR for $18.99, FR: Small Batch $29.99.

Once I finish the KC bottle, I think Elijah Craig 12yr will be next, then hopefully FR! :)

So far, I've only tried (in order of preference):

Buffalo Trace
Woodford's Reserve
Knob Creek
Old Grand Dad 86
Evan Williams Black
Maker's Mark

Had a sampler of Jim Beam White, and found it to be a slightly harsher version of EWB, and also a sampler of Wild Turkey 101 -- but wasn't charmed enough by it to try a full bottle.
JPBoston

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:08 am

Went to a bar with friends and decided to try some stuff I've never had before.

Jefferson Rye Whiskey - I liked this one a lot. It was like a typical rye, nice and spicy with some earthy notes. I can definitely see why Rye is so popular! Would definitely drink again.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel - Interesting. Regular JD isn't a sipper, that's for sure, but this is actually pretty nice. On the beginning it has the taste of a bourbon, with some vanilla and oak flavorors, but the finish really still hits you with that weird charcoal taste you get with a lot of T Tennessee Whiskey. I wouldn't buy it, but it's good. Probably the best in the Jack Daniel;s inventory.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby ebo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:32 am

WhiskeyBro wrote:Went to a bar with friends and decided to try some stuff I've never had before.

Jefferson Rye Whiskey - I liked this one a lot. It was like a typical rye, nice and spicy with some earthy notes. I can definitely see why Rye is so popular! Would definitely drink again.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel - Interesting. Regular JD isn't a sipper, that's for sure, but this is actually pretty nice. On the beginning it has the taste of a bourbon, with some vanilla and oak flavorors, but the finish really still hits you with that weird charcoal taste you get with a lot of T Tennessee Whiskey. I wouldn't buy it, but it's good. Probably the best in the Jack Daniel;s inventory

Like any single barrel, you'll find it varies from bottle to bottle. I'm not a fan, at all, of the regular JD Black, but the SB is definitely worth buying, IMO.
ebo

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:21 pm

I am certainly with you, ebo, on the JDSB. Since I heeded our friend 'bunghole's' advice and gave it a close look, I think JDSB is a very fine example of American Whiskey. It has great balance betwixt the smooth sweetness and the rye zing..... both hold on as it goes across the mouth and down the gullet....... and leave a trail of American Whiskey essence at its best. It has a delicacy in the sweetness that is hard to beat. Truly, in my opinion, an excellent product of American distilling and aging expertise.

I would assume that it is the skill of the JD Master Distiller who selects the barrels destined for this great whiskey....... and he is a master.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gauze » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 pm

tonight: Very Old Bartons 86 proof
recently killed the last of Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 8 Year
gauze

Unread postby schmluss » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:25 pm

No Bourbon tonight. Tried a mini of Cabin Fever. It's a whiskey a maple syrup combo. Tasty, but too sweet to drink the whole thing. Good for a nip here and there or maybe mixed with something. Similar to JD Honey.
schmluss

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:49 am

Went to the store and finally settled on Evan Williams Single Barrel , 2002 (at $28 the price was just TOO good to pass up). Absolutely not disappointed - in fact, I'd say I'm blown away by the quality of this bourbon. Big, hearty nose of fruit and citrus, and a really long, wonderful finish with big oaky, woody flavors. I put it it side by side with my Elijah Craig 12, and I think I like the Evan Williams Better!

gauze wrote:tonight: Very Old Bartons 86 proof
recently killed the last of Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 8 Year

How'd you like the Very Old Barton? I was eyeing that up at the store too. The stuff is unbelievably cheap, and pretty darn good to boot, from what I've heard.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby Birdo » Sun May 13, 2012 9:12 am

Grill party. Started with a Knob Creek on the rocks, followed by Benchmark and Sprite, not to mention one Dos Equis. Night cap Ridgemont 1792.
Birdo

Unread postby Mike » Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm

I am having a sip of my vatting of 60% Evan Willimas Single Barrel (86.8 proof), 35% Knob Creek Single Barrel (120 proof), and 5% Wasmund's Single Malt Whiskey (96 proof). This yields a final proof of 98.7.

It makes for a whiskey (can't really call it a bourbon) that is rich in barrel flavors from the KC, has a nice spicy rye bite from the KC and EW, and a soft sweetness from the EW, along with a complementary malt sweetness from the Wasmund's that rounds out the flavor and carries the sweetness well into the finish.

Robust, sweet, warm, spicy, with excellent balance and great complexity.

Tell yo Momma, tell yo Pa, we ain't going back to Arkansas!! We gone sip some great whiskey!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight