Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby jcg9779 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 am

Had my first taste of Thomas H. Handy tonight - delicious stuff. Followed that up with some Fighting Cock on the rocks as I watched a little ACC basketball.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby jcg9779 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Four Roses Limited Edition Small batch and then Parker's Heritage 10 YO...Thanks to Mike for letting me know where they could be found!
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby gman58 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:17 am

Tonight I had a couple Manhattans that turned out to be quite different from each other. The first was made with Old Grand Dad BIB (100 proof). This drink was quite tasty and I really enjoyed it. The second was made with Rebel Yell (80 proof). I didn't care for this one.

These two bourbons are the latest additions to my collection. I've had them both neat and thought they were a little harsh in that the taste in my mouth overpowered and did not complement the aroma. I thought trying them in Manhattans would be a good drink to 'soften' the taste a little. It was a good trial and I found I liked the first one. I'll have further tastings of each as time goes by.

p.s. my recipe is:
2 oz. bourbon
1/2 oz. sweet vermouth
1/4 oz. maraschino cherry juice
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby ebo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:22 pm

This evening, I'm drinking good old WT101... neat.

Is it just me, or is this Bourbon getting better every year? For the money, this has to be one of the best values to be had in Bourbon, IMO.
ebo

Unread postby jcg9779 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Just purchased the new Knob Creek Single Barrel - looking forward to trying it tonight!
Jack

-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby jcg9779 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:07 am

Bought my first bottle of PVW 23 tonight - trying to decide if I should open it now or save it for a special occasion!
Jack

-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:50 pm

I probably won't open it tonight, but the new bottle is a big 1.75 litre of Fighting Cock I bought at Liquor Barn for $31.49. Big flavor at a good price, this stuff is the way I like it.
Birdo

Unread postby Mike » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:34 pm

jcg9779 wrote:Bought my first bottle of PVW 23 tonight - trying to decide if I should open it now or save it for a special occasion!

Open, Open NOW......for bourbon drinkers there are no real special occasions, there is (and always should be) the here, and the now........... TASTE, SIP, LEARN, bourbon is NOT a sacred substance, it should never be considered (my opinion) as such. The bourbon I cannot drink just because I think it would be good for a 'special' time, has become more a symbol of something than a first rate sip. No bourbon is sacred. I am agin holding any bourbon for a special occasion..........although I understand that impulse and have indulged it myself, I think it is wrong. Drink what you want when you want it........if you wait for the 'right' time, it may escape you. I am going agin the grain I know........but this is my honest opinion. Life is day to day........special occasions mostly fall flat.

Bourbon (or any whiskey) reveals nothing without its being opened.............be brave, drink, or better yet, sip. PVW 23 is not a drinking whiskey, but most decidely a sipping whiskey. It is by no means an ordinary whiskey...........do not judge it by ordinary whiskey standards. You may very well dislike it, it is tannic and dry.........be prepared!

It is my experience that ultra aged bourbons are very difficult to evaluate..........before forming an opinion go back to it several times over several weeks (in this time frame, have a sip of a good Cognac) and consider it from different standpoints.........sweetness, delicacy, dryness, complexity, balance. You have spent a bundle for a bottle of bourbon, give it a lot of attention.............and don't be afraid to say it does not suit you, BE HONESt (that is very important for your future as a good judge of bourbon, indeed for your future as a good human)!

Tell us your honest opinion, remembering that you can change it at any time as you drink and experience other bourbons. Never think that you owe yourself or us consistency in you bourbon evaluations as you gain experience. To do so (in my opinion) is to be foolish.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby stresssolutions » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm

WT 101 old fashioned. quite enjoyable. I bought a bottle of Old Whiskey River the other day, it's good.
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby whiskeybreath » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:59 am

I'm sipping 114 OGD from the 1980s with just a tad of spring water. I LOVE the smell of the glass after about an half hour. It smells like caramel!
whiskeybreath

Unread postby birdman1099 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Sippin' on some Old Grand Dad as well....

I'm in the OGD BIB from 1981...... The butterscotch is intoxicating...
birdman1099

Unread postby vince » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:34 am

Last night I had a taste of Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 followed by Four Roses limited Release small batch. Two fantastic bourbons in my opinion!
vince

Unread postby jcg9779 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Last night I started off with some OGD 114, then had the last pour of my EWSB 2000, and finished off the evening with OFBB 2010.
Jack

-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby Mack » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Yesterday was Makers 46 and Buffalo Trace (couple hours apart).
Tonight will start with the 46 again and possibly some Bookers to finish.
...the Knife
Mack

Unread postby GrandePdre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Tonight I'm partaking in my first ever glass of Elmer T. Lee. Very nice.
GrandePdre

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight