Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby JLH3 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:11 am

GTS 2011 followed by some EWSB.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby peterh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am

Last night was a Jefferson Reserve 17yo night
peterh

Unread postby vince » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 am

Last night I sipped on some AAA 10 Year Old--Great Stuff!
vince

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Peter Jake's Private Keep
10 year old
90 proof
Kentucky Straight Bourbon
Bottled by Bardstown Creek Distilling Company -- probably KBD
You can see a photo on my web page for KBD (2001 visit) at http://ellenjaye.com/kybourbondist.htm#peterjakes
The folks at KBD were shocked (and not pleasantly) that I'd obtained the bottle here.
I think this was mostly sold in Japan, although the bottle I have here was purchased in the U.S.
That was well over a decade ago. Good stuff. A little too "woody" for some, but that's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:02 pm

I got a couple bottles of that John. For me to have it, that means a US release. They might also have released it in Japan but they definitely released it in the states and it is KBD.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby larosity » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 am

Well, I just opened my first taste of Eagle Rare 10yo and was pleasantly surprised...a gentle, aromatic, easy sip with very little backbite and a smooth heat with a very vanilla and unburnt cedar wood nose...really enjoyed it as a contrast to it's counterpart - Blanton's single barrel which is always on my shelf...hats off to Buffalo Trace!
larosity

Unread postby alext » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 am

I have been on a bourbon free diet for the last few weeks, recently I've been dabbling in various bottles of armagnac, quick research revealed that unlike cognac, armagnac is aged in new oak, which is probably why I have taken such a shine to it, something a bourbon drinker might want to consider trying if they need a temporary change in scenery

Anyway to break my bourbon drought i had a couple pours of ancient age 10yr, wonderful stuff and was the perfect transition back to bourbon, next will be the ever reliable WT101 to complete the process
alext

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:54 pm

alext wrote:I have been on a bourbon free diet for the last few weeks, recently I've been dabbling in various bottles of armagnac, quick research revealed that unlike cognac, armagnac is aged in new oak, which is probably why I have taken such a shine to it, something a bourbon drinker might want to consider trying if they need a temporary change in scenery

I have a pour of Armagnac once in a while for a change.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:I have a pour of Armagnac once in a while for a change.

Joe, what do you think of Armagnac as compared to, say, Maker's Mark? I've always thought that MM was bourbon aimed more for the Cognac (or better yet, probably Armagnac) aficianado than for those of us who prefer a more traditional-style bourbon flavor.

And AlexT, thanks for the information about Armagnac and new barrels. That definitely makes a difference worth exploring. Do you happen to have any documentation that shows Armangac being aged in new CHARRED barrels? That would be even better.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:18 am

EllenJ wrote:
Bourbon Joe wrote:I have a pour of Armagnac once in a while for a change.

Joe, what do you think of Armagnac as compared to, say, Maker's Mark?

Most times I prefer the Armagnac over the MM. MM to me has a rudimentary introductory "wheater" taste which can be bested by a variety of other wheat based products which I like more. OWA comes to mind. As for the Armagnac, the fact that it is distilled from grapes comes through to me and with a faint bit of wood on it, pleases me more than MM would.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 am

John, this French source: http://loujanbasarmagnac.com/guide.html, confirms that Armagnac is aged initially in new barrels which are toasted (not charred). The level of toast is not mentioned and it may well be, or for certain producers, a heavy toast. But the barrels are not charred as in U.S. whiskey production, I understand. The barrel pictured in the image looks to be spanking new.

However, as the link recounts, the brandy is transferred to more "neutral" (i.e., reused) barrels after an initial period, and I have read this can be two years. This is to ensure the taste is not swamped by a tannic, sappy flavor.

I find Armagnac quite different to any bourbon whiskey. The grape flavours, added to the flavours peculiar to French forest wood, result in a very different drink. Armagnac is a good value as compared to Cognac and I prefer it to Cognac's intensely perfumed taste.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby alext » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 am

gillmang wrote: Armagnac is a good value as compared to Cognac and I prefer it to Cognac's intensely perfumed taste.

Exactly me feelings as well, i was drinking Sempe VSOP Armagnac side by side with Courvoisier XO and at half the price id probably choose the Sempe (if i wasnt paying id probably go the courvoisier)
But yes you are right distinctly different drinks to bourbon, you cannot escape the inherent grape flavors which is contrasting to bourbon, almost a 'musty' quality for want of a better word, i find it dulls a little with age and because of this I usually cannot drink a VS of either.
From my small sample size of armagnacs I have found the slightly more prominent woody characters downplay the grape, making armagnac a less challenging change than cognac.
alext

Unread postby alext » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Finally got round to getting a PVW 20 year, glad I did, not usually into wheaters but the intensity of the oak is outstanding, i sniffed the glass for a good five minutes after finishing!
Anyone care to comment on the 23 year? I feel the level of wood in this one is getting to the upper end of what I can handle, how does its older brother compare?
alext

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:13 am

Finishing off the Four Roses Yellow Label. It's good stuff with complex and fruity profile. A lighter bourbon that doesn't stick around too long. 80proof makes for an easy drink.
Birdo

Unread postby gauze » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:54 am

so I finally got around to trying Jack Daniels ... and it wasn't bad, as in it wasn't nasty at least. This was in Holland so I don't know if they have a smoother/weaker version they sell over there. That said they poured VERY small shots I had 7 shots and I barely had a buzz. After they ran out of JD I had Johnny Walker Red left which tasted particularly nasty as a closer.

I know no bourbon in this list but they didn't have a single bourbon in this place, but of course had a bunch of different vodkas.
gauze

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight