Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby JakeDPR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 year today, a first for me. I am enjoying it, and now I know what you guys mean by oily mouth feel haha
JakeDPR

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:58 pm

I am drinking The 100th Anniversary (of the FR Distillery) Four Roses Barrel Strength 17 YO bourbon. At around 109 proof it is forceful, barrel rich, quite spicy, and fruity bourbon, and lives by its own rules. It does not exhibit the wood that most 17 YO bourbons do, and has only mild tannins. Still, that age has tempered this beast and, as the attached tag says, given it the flavors of candied fruit. Quite unlike any other 17 YO bourbon in my experience, and exceptionally good.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby alext » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:28 am

rittenhouse BIB, i cry a little every time i have to pay $85 for it, yeh its good, but not $85 good, variety is the spice of life but not in oz when it comes to whiskey, so you gotta pay
Found a supplier with some russels reserve 101, should receive it next week, looking forward to trying this
alext

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:41 am

Mike, you are right. The 100th anniversary is just about my favorite special release. I attended the introduction tasting with Jim Rutledge.
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby MacinJosh » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:53 am

alext wrote:rittenhouse BIB, i cry a little every time i have to pay $85 for it, yeh its good, but not $85 good, variety is the spice of life but not in oz when it comes to whiskey, so you gotta pay
Found a supplier with some russels reserve 101, should receive it next week, looking forward to trying this

$85 for Ritt BIB?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock:

Wow....I'm feeling very thankful this morning. :)
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby alext » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 am

Haha hows about $100 for sazerac 6yr?!!! Yes, $100, but no I don't buy it, I have my limits of how far il let the taxation department push the friendship!
alext

Unread postby MacinJosh » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:44 am

alext wrote:Haha hows about $100 for sazerac 6yr?!!! Yes, $100, but no I don't buy it, I have my limits of how far il let the taxation department push the friendship!

Unreal.....my sympathies!
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 pm

A current vatting of about 10 bourbons. They are: Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Yellow Label, Knob Creek, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Jack Daniels (regular Black Label and some single barrels), Maker's Mark, Weller 107, EC 12 and one or two others (no rye).

It's very good I think, the flavor is complex but good and clean, everything resolving to a nice harmony. I combined bottle ends and then added a bit of this and that to try to get the taste where I wanted. I can truly say it is preferable, IMO again, to most of the elements on their own, but it isn't better, say, than the Triple A I just reviewed or a more recently purchased bottle of ETL for example. Every bottle is different...

Gary

P.S. Of the various distillers, I find Jim Beam the most consistent. Knob Creek, say, will generally taste very similar bottle to bottle and even more so for the White and Black labels. The other producers vary more IMO for most brands, but that is a plus for me.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby alext » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:50 am

Great start to the week!!! Monday I received a package I had eagerly been waiting for, within it a bottle each of WT Kentucky spirit, Johnny Drum private stock, OGD 114, Russels Reserve Rye and a Pure Kentucky XO, who says they hate Mondays?

First up was the WT, i am a big fan of WT range and couldn't wait to try the Kentucky Spirit, not disappointed, almost velvety on the palate, nicely balanced and incredibly smooth for a 101, have to be careffull with this one

Johnny Drum, really nice, initial impression is that the finish lets it down, not very clean not a deal breaker though, just have the next sip a little sooner, wont have any issues finishing this bottle!

Kentucky XO, by far the spiciest of the bunch, great colour, will have to try this side by side with WT101, very nice finish for my impromptu tasting session/kinda cheeky Monday night

Might wait a couple nights before I move onto tasting the others, don't want to overload the senses (running low on sick days)

Cheers
alext

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 am

Had a small pour of Elijah Craig 12. Very nice, great flavor and smooth. A nice change from the swill I had to drink at the in-laws over the weekend.
Birdo

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 pm

This evening I had a few sips of Ridgemont 1792, and a few sips of Hancock's Reserve. Both were very enjoyable.
Mike

Unread postby Watson Roadster » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm

My first attempt at Four Roses Single Barrel (It's getting a thumbs up!!!)

And good ol' Jimbo!!!
Watson Roadster

Unread postby ebo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 pm

I'm having a nice pour of JDSB. Beats the hell out of the regular Black Label, overrated swill. :wink:
ebo

Unread postby Landrum » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:02 pm

First post here. Tonight I am having Bulleit Frontier. I only tried this bourbon for the first time just recently. So far, so good.
Landrum

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm

I am having a sip of one of the commerative (Angelo Luchese, I believe) JD 90 proof whiskies. By gor, it is excellent whiskey.
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight