Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:26 pm

It ain't that bad! :)

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:06 am

When I was in Ireland a bit over a year ago, I visited the Midleton Distillery. They produce mostly Jameson whiskey there, along with with a few others. At the end of the tour they do a comparison 'twixt the least expensive Jameson, Johnny Walker Black Label, and Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskies.

The latter two of these are probably among the highest selling whiskies in the world. I like Jameson whiskies, and I like Johnny Walker Black, but have never been a fan of Jack Daniel's Old No 7, or any of their 80 proof whiskies. I am, however, a very big fan of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel (94 proof), and some of their 90 proof releases.

Still, I was quite surprised at how well the Jack Daniel's Old No 7 did in this comparison. All these 80 proof whiskies had a nice measure of softness and even delicacy. I preferred the Jameson, as did all my fellow tour folks (that we had just finished a tour of the Midleton Distilller no doubt inclinded us that way from the start), but the Jack was more than respectable.

In rarely drink 80 proof whiskey, unless it is Irish Whiskey (there are higher proof Irish Whiskies available now), or Scotch Whiskey. So, I rarely drink Jack Daniel's except for the Single Barrel at 94 proof, thus. when I do drink Old No 7, it tastes watered down, and has a cast of char of which I am not so fond.

Yet, were I to drink it more often and with other 80 proof whiskies, I am sure I would so grow fond of it. Besides, one reason I have never cared for Old No 7 is that I find the Jack Daniel's approach to advertising to be concescending.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:17 am

My own history with Jack Daniels is much like Mike describes. Initially, I found it too earthy/charry, with a strong "banana acetone" note.

In part, this is because 80 proof - while a very high rate of alcohol by the standard of wine and beer - is probably not the ideal strength for Jack. At 94 and 100 proof (the Silver Select only available internationally) the flavors are much better, or at least the barrels selected for sale. Everything seems in the right balance. The extra ethanol does this I think. One would think the barrel would have more of a say at high proof; I find the opposite to be true.

So now that stronger proof Jack is available - even the old 90 proof occasionally in the form of special editions - there is a chance to appreciate it at its best.

My vatting is probably 90 proof, perhaps a bit more, and recalls for me the Jack Daniels of the 1970's.

Also though, I feel all bottlings in recent years are better. Some of the 80 proof of half a dozen years ago was a little rough, nice for mixing with Coke but not always sippable neat. I think more attention is given the drink today, to its palate, and we are better off for it.

I can fully understand though that that many don't like it. I was the same with anise-flavored drinks such as ouzo, absinthe, Pernod. But after years of occasionally trying them, the taste kicked in, I don't know why, but it did. I think in a word that is my history with Jack. Maybe my feeling that it is better at high proof and has improved in recent years is a rationalization; it's probably a bit of both.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Anybody that likes 80 proof JD should try Old Charter 8 year old. :idea:
PaulO

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Makes sense to me also because both use a low-rye bourbon mash spec. While the OC is older, some older whiskey is blended with 4-5 year old Jack so the 80 proof won't show up the paleness too much, plus the Jack profile anyway is to be a little woody, probably due to the preliminary charcoal treatment. So it makes good sense even though on the face it wouldn't, to some.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby ebo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm a fan of the JDSB.... not so much old #7. #7 isn't terrible or undrinkable... it just isn't anything special. At least not so special that it should be the best selling whiskey in the world. Like Andre Agassi said.... image is everything.
ebo

Unread postby Dulcimer Player » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:23 am

I think tonight I will try bookers (came in a cute wooden box) that my kids gave me for my birthday. Don't hear a lot about it but I'm looking forward to trying something new.
Dulcimer Player

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:21 pm

It is a very enjoyable bourbon, but I recommend a splash of water or some ice.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby TonyW » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 am

Booker's is one of the different bourbons on my list to try. Since I normally drink whatever I'm currently enjoying on the rocks it sounds like it will be a perfect fit.

This thread is kind of backwards for me since I work 3rd shift. My evening is morning so I normally enjoy about 9 or 10 a.m.
“A respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingers”

Frederick Booker Noe II
TonyW

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 am

Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

I don't know, but I probably won't be drinking it at Birdo's :lol: :lol: :lol:
(see: http://bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12690)
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby JakeDPR » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:02 am

Enjoying some Jim Beam Rye and smoking a 5Vegas Miami Knuckle while watching some Sons Of Anarchy. Tis a good evening
JakeDPR

Unread postby Dulcimer Player » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:28 pm

Just got back from our band playing an outside gig... .hot outside gig. Sitting hear reading the forum relaxing with a shot of Pappy VanWinkle . . . It really is good. I guess I am going to have to try and find some more. I have a hard time finding any of the pvw but it's worth the trouble.
Dulcimer Player

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:19 am

Dulcimer Player wrote:Just got back from our band playing an outside gig... .hot outside gig. Sitting hear reading the forum relaxing with a shot of Pappy VanWinkle . . . It really is good. I guess I am going to have to try and find some more. I have a hard time finding any of the pvw but it's worth the trouble.

You must have an older bottle because the new stuff ain't all that great.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gman58 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Well happy birthday USA! I hope everyone is celebrating their independence. I’m sitting on my front porch sipping a George Stagg over crushed ice. The weather here in Columbus, OH is sweltering; the temperature is in the high 90’s. There’s a slight breeze, and I’m in the shade, but man is it hot. Still, I’m happy to be here… To be both right here where I am, and be alive in general. I’m glad there have been folks, past and present that have worked and fought to make our country as good as it is, and will be.

This Stagg is not an easy bourbon to sip. I haven’t pulled it out for several months. Just smelling the whiskey before I poured it over the ice reminded me how strong it is. There was some oak and a sweet candy aroma behind it but mostly it’s the alcohol. I couldn’t resist trying a drop neat…wow. Now that some of the ice has melted it’s still like a kick in the head each time I sip it. This stuff seems to have more of an afterburn than a taste because all I get is oak followed by a lingering burn on the sides of my tongue. Still, it’s doing nicely as I sit here in the heat. I’ll have to go light the charcoal for a cookout in a few minutes. Then, I’ll have my wife pick which bottle we pour. Again, happy birthday USA.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby JPBoston » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Had some Old Forester while lighting fireworks with the kids *... will cap off the night with OGD BIB.

* Not as dangerous as it sounds, lol. First sips of the night, and nothing more then glorified sparklers that stick in the ground. :)

HAPPY 4TH!!!
JPBoston

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight