Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:44 am

I scored a bottle of Knob Creek and Four Roses SIngle barrel at Sams Club for a total bill of $52 bucks. But I poured Elijah Craig since its already open.

Reminds me of Fighting Cock, only smoother. By the way, Eliajah Craig is Fighting Cock only aged an additional 6 years, what's not to like here?
Birdo

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:59 am

JPBoston wrote:Just got my first bottle of Jim Beam Black the other day... Really enjoying it. Very sweet!! Probably the sweetest bourbon I've had yet, although its not very complex.

I see a few people in this thread enjoy JBB on the rocks... what do you guys feel is the difference in tasting notes with ice vs neat? Any new flavors pop up when had with ice?

I really like the JBB... though I'm not sure it can compete with BT which is only a few dollars more here. I really wish it was just a bit cheaper, as I like it better then EWB... but EWB is literally half the price when comparing handles. I guess my point is, JBB would be an incredible value pour... though (for me) it's price is just a touch out of the comfortable 'value pour' price range.

EWB: $15 per handle
JBB: $30 per handle

If JBB could live in say, the $22-$25 per handle range, I'd never look back to EWB.

Anyway, back on topic --- I'll be enjoying some JBB tonight while watching The Killing with my wife. :)

ADDED:

Weird... only 3-4 days after opening the bottle, the sweetness has all but disappeared and all that's left is the oak. Anyone one else with similar experience with JBB?

Those prices sound great! We pay $40 for Beam Black handles, and $20 for the Evan WIlliams, here in Kentucky where they make the stuff. At those prices, I would only drink good stuff.
Birdo

Unread postby William » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Im having Ezra Brooks 90 proof. Very good for the price, $19.00 at 1.75 lt. Gonna try Evan Williams 1793 next at the same amount next time I buy.
William

Unread postby ScurvyDog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 pm

I just had a couple 1983's. I killed the bottle. i suppose I can afford the next bottle, best value there is!
ScurvyDog

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:30 am

Birdo wrote: By the way, Eliajah Craig is Fighting Cock only aged an additional 6 years, what's not to like here?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You just blew my mind.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:33 am

WhiskeyBro wrote:
Birdo wrote: By the way, Eliajah Craig is Fighting Cock only aged an additional 6 years, what's not to like here?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You just blew my mind.

Friend, it is a bit of a stretch. Some folks I know at Heaven Hill joke that they have one kind of bourbon and 200 different labels and bottles. Obviously they but the bourbon that turns out best in the more expensive bottles. If something is above average at 4y/o old, they hang on to it and age it to a better profile. Average stuff goes in the cheaper bottle. Bottom line is all bourbon is good, its just bourbon is better than others. Evan Williams black is fighting cock aged to 4 years and cut to a lower proof, tastes fine, and is cheap enough for mixing with Pepsi as a lot of people do.
Birdo

Unread postby Watson Roadster » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 am

Goin' cheap tonight...

A little Jim Beam White Label and some Four Roses Yellow Label...Neat,as always..
Watson Roadster

Unread postby vince » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:45 am

Last night I had some Noahs Mill with a La Gloria Cubano series R followed by a little Wild Turkey 101! A very nice evening!
vince

Unread postby NotAnAlky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 am

Got a cheap bottle of Heaven Hill black label.
NotAnAlky

Unread postby JakeDPR » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 am

Henry Hill died yesterday, so I am watching Goodfellas. I finally grabbed a bottle of Jim Beam Rye. I like it, great after taste i must say. I am enjoying it with a Man O' War Puro Authentico cigar. If any of you dig strong cigars, I suggest you pick up some of these! I love it.
JakeDPR

Unread postby JPBoston » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Birdo wrote:Those prices sound great! We pay $40 for Beam Black handles, and $20 for the Evan WIlliams, here in Kentucky where they make the stuff. At those prices, I would only drink good stuff.

Yikes!! So weird that AZ would have better prices on some bourbon than KY! Wonder what the cause is? I know we have two very large liquor store chains competing here (Total Wine and BevMo), so maybe that has something to do with it?

Henry Hill died yesterday, so I am watching Goodfellas. I finally grabbed a bottle of Jim Beam Rye. I like it, great after taste i must say. I am enjoying it with a Man O' War Puro Authentico cigar. If any of you dig strong cigars, I suggest you pick up some of these! I love it.

That's nuts... just watched Goodfellas for the first time in YEARS last Thursday. Weird coincidence....
JPBoston

Unread postby Dulcimer Player » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Last night I was reading about ORVW 10 year 107 and remembered I has a bottle so I had a sho as I read what every body thought. It was really nice . . . So nice I am having another shot this afternoon and maybe another one tonight.
Dulcimer Player

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Fricky andI got together yesterday to drink some bourbon. We had Very Old Fitzgerald barreled in 1951; A.H.Hirsch 16 yr, Gold Foil; Old Fitzgeral BIB, barreled in 1967; Very Old Barton, 12 yr, 90 proof; and a J W Dant 8 yr, 86 proof from 1968. Enjoyed good stuff with a good friend.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm

One of my Jack minglings. This one is based on Old No. 7 (2 of them), to which judicious amounts of Single Barrel (2) and Silver Select (2 again), and a shading of Gentleman Jack, were added. So we have a deepened, softened, enriched regular Jack, finely calibrated. It has that yellow fruit character of Old No. 7 but in an unusually nuanced, winy and almost sweet interpretation.

By the way it`s pretty good too. :)

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby ebo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Had to make Old #7 drinkable, huh? :lol:
ebo

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight