Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby Agalloch » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:47 pm

Squire wrote:It's standard HH stuff but at 7 years and 101 proof it's still flying under radar and is surprisingly cheap. If you come across it (limited distribution) by all means buy a case.

Is it the same as Ezra 7year 101? I found a bottle of that for the first time up around here. I always enjoyed their 90 proof offering over anything close to its priice point and the 101 doesnt dissapoint.
Agalloch

Unread postby Squire » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:32 pm

I can't say that it's the same but is close kin.
Squire

Unread postby ebo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Well..... listening to the Quaker City Nighthawks and sipping a healthy pour of JB Bonded.
ebo

Unread postby Agalloch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:02 pm

ebo wrote:Well..... listening to the Quaker City Nighthawks and sipping a healthy pour of JB Bonded.

Id like to give JB bonded a try but I have only found it at one store and they have it priced at 28$. While not outrageous Im still not ready to throw down that kind of dough for it. Having a good pour of Four roses small batch tonight followed by some turkey 101.
Agalloch

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:41 am

I'm still working my way thru a 1.75 jug of Weller SR. I like it plenty fine and think its one of the best from the folks at Buffalo Trace. Simple caramel and vanilla with a bit of wood at the finish. This one is smooth and simple. Younger than it used to be but still just fine. The jug now goes for $35 here if you are lucky enough to find it.

Weller 12 year and the 107 proof antique are never on the shelf anymore.
Birdo

Unread postby ebo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:11 pm

I just bought a new bottle of OGD BiB.... because I go through it....... "quickly" :wink: This bottle is different, in a good way. It is very oily with a great mouth feel... and on the sweet side. I've never had OGD that was like this. I'm going back and get another bottle or 2 of this :) .
ebo

Unread postby ebo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Drinking some Beam Bonded tonight. This is pretty good stuff.
ebo

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:41 pm

I've had a few as of late. The first was a vatting. My local liquor store had selected a special barrel of Knob Creek 120. This particular barrel has an overwelming taste of sherry. So strong that it reminded me of Aberlour A'bunadh. Verry strange for a bourbon. Anyway, to offset this character I mixed it 50/50 or thereabouts with some Bookers. The resulting concoction was easily better than either whiskey on their own.

Another recent pour was some Old Forester 1897. This stuff has got to be one of the easiest drinking whiskies this side of Basil Hayden's. It is utterly amazing this is a 100 proof whiskey and would be an excellent choice for a beginner.

The last one I have tried recently is the new batch of Rare Breed. This one comes in at a brisk 116 proof. I was hoping for something more like the 108 but we're not quite there yet. I like the flavor better than the 112 but it still tastes a little thin (young?) to me. I hope it continues to get better. I wish they would take the old stock earmarked for their Master's Keep offerings and added to the new Rare Breed. But then the price would surely go up.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm 'aving a sip of Four Roses Single Barrel. Now, 'tis me opinion that there is no better dram than this for the money. Surely 'twill show me the way 'ome, for I do want to go to bed.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:12 am

A new Canadian whisky, High River. Just came out, very little data online, bottled by Sazerac Brands in states, so source not known to me anyway. This one has a full rich taste, a little fruity, no alcohol burn. I assume it has a high percentage of "flavouring whisky" (the straight rye type whisky distilled in Canadian plants to blend with aged high proof base whisky). Excellent value at $33.00 (CAN).

You can see the LCBO listing and a bottle picture here: http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/high-r ... N-1a1KZMlI

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm

The Sun being well over the yard arm on this Sunday afternoon, I find nothing twixt me and my liquor closet. Off to my left I see five mounted cowboys, off to my left ride a dozen or more........... but wait, I'm supposed to be in Tennessee, not El Paso, TX.

So, y'all and all, it is George Dickel (103 proof Small Batch Hand Selected Barrel Whisky, aged 9 Years), over agin Jack Daniel's (Single Barrel Barrel Proof at 131.2 proof lowered to about the same proof as the Dickel). To me, the Dickel has misused its time in the barrel somewhat. This is a dry whisky (if they wants to spell whiskey that way, its alright by me). There is an off taste in this expression of Dickel (I confess to disliking this whiskey before this current tasting, hence it is an almost full bottle) that the 12 does not have and I do not care for it at all. I will leave it, an almost full bottle, sitting just outside my door for you if you want it. To my palate it is that bad.

On t'other hand, I think the JD is a better whiskey than the premium Dickel, but, for reasons unclear to me, I find it to be, at about the same proof as the regular Single Barrel, a bit less appealing.......... not as subtle. Both these bourbons sell in the $50+- range. To borrow from an old Southern expression in regard to getting a lot of pleasure from something, both of these fellows failed to crank my tractor.

Sooo, almost in desperation, I reached for a nip of Wild Turkey Barrel Proof Russell's Reserve. This, as much to prove that my palate, after a lengthy cold, was even able to cause any stir in the taste buds. Alas, I am yet somewhat disabled. The WT was gooder than either of the others, but even it did not bring my taster to full alert, so I must be satisfied with, not the taste of whiskey, but its effects.

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl. Night time would find me in Rosa's Cantina, music would play and Felina would whirl. As I watch Felina whirl and the handsome young cowboy begin to bird dog her, I realize that other measures (in regard to the whiskey) are called for. Knowing that my palate is limping, I wonder what might suit it in its distress.

Sooo, I pull out probably my most unique bourbon (not necessarily the best, even assuming such as thing as a best bourbon were to exist.......... which, by the way, it doesn't). I reach, pardners, for the Wild Turkey Master's Collection 17 YO Barrel Proof (at 86 proof), because I probably ain't got nothing better to do with it, or with my own self.

EUREKA!

Dashing and daring, a drink he (the handsome young stranger) was sharing with wicked Felina, the girl that I loved. So in anger I challenged his right for the love of this maiden, down went his hand for the gun that he wore. In less than a heartbeat, his challenge was answered, the handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor.
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:32 am

I made up a new vatting. A four grain consisting of 1/3 Virgin Bourbon 7yr. 101 Proof and 2/3 Weller Special Reserve 7 y/o 90 proof. I like it.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Agalloch » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 am

Mike wrote:The Sun being well over the yard arm on this Sunday afternoon, I find nothing twixt me and my liquor closet. Off to my left I see five mounted cowboys, off to my left ride a dozen or more........... but wait, I'm supposed to be in Tennessee, not El Paso, TX.

So, y'all and all, it is George Dickel (103 proof Small Batch Hand Selected Barrel Whisky, aged 9 Years), over agin Jack Daniel's (Single Barrel Barrel Proof at 131.2 proof lowered to about the same proof as the Dickel). To me, the Dickel has misused its time in the barrel somewhat. This is a dry whisky (if they wants to spell whiskey that way, its alright by me). There is an off taste in this expression of Dickel (I confess to disliking this whiskey before this current tasting, hence it is an almost full bottle) that the 12 does not have and I do not care for it at all. I will leave it, an almost full bottle, sitting just outside my door for you if you want it. To my palate it is that bad.

On t'other hand, I think the JD is a better whiskey than the premium Dickel, but, for reasons unclear to me, I find it to be, at about the same proof as the regular Single Barrel, a bit less appealing.......... not as subtle. Both these bourbons sell in the $50+- range. To borrow from an old Southern expression in regard to getting a lot of pleasure from something, both of these fellows failed to crank my tractor.

Sooo, almost in desperation, I reached for a nip of Wild Turkey Barrel Proof Russell's Reserve. This, as much to prove that my palate, after a lengthy cold, was even able to cause any stir in the taste buds. Alas, I am yet somewhat disabled. The WT was gooder than either of the others, but even it did not bring my taster to full alert, so I must be satisfied with, not the taste of whiskey, but its effects.

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl. Night time would find me in Rosa's Cantina, music would play and Felina would whirl. As I watch Felina whirl and the handsome young cowboy begin to bird dog her, I realize that other measures (in regard to the whiskey) are called for. Knowing that my palate is limping, I wonder what might suit it in its distress.

Sooo, I pull out probably my most unique bourbon (not necessarily the best, even assuming such as thing as a best bourbon were to exist.......... which, by the way, it doesn't). I reach, pardners, for the Wild Turkey Master's Collection 17 YO Barrel Proof (at 86 proof), because I probably ain't got nothing better to do with it, or with my own self.

EUREKA!

Dashing and daring, a drink he (the handsome young stranger) was sharing with wicked Felina, the girl that I loved. So in anger I challenged his right for the love of this maiden, down went his hand for the gun that he wore. In less than a heartbeat, his challenge was answered, the handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor.

Im a fan of George Dickle 12, been keeping an eye open for the 9 year but i think i have to venture for it. Keep posting love the writing.
Agalloch

Unread postby Mike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

I be drinking one a my special concoctions this evening. It is made with 15 ml of Wild Turkey Rare Breed (112.8 proof), 15 ml of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked (90,4 proof) and 20 ml of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey (90 proof). The final product is about 97 poof, and is an excellent whiskey with nice subtlety in the midst of some thick bite.

I bet they will be able to make this for me when I get to heaven.......... a large assumption, you say?

Well, friends, our world and your part in it is built upon many such large assumptions.

Ah, well, what's one more bad assumption amongst my many. If I don't get to heaven, I will just assume there ain't one.
Mike

Unread postby RandyG » Mon May 01, 2017 7:37 pm

I again tried the 50/50 (or thereabouts) of the Knob Creek 120 store selection & Bookers mentioned in my previous post. This time however, I added a touch of Old Forester 1897 to tame things just a little bit. I'm definately doing this one again.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Cheers all,
RG

Recently:
06/17

I saw a bottle of OF 1920 a week or so ago and decided to give it a try. I like this one even more than the 1897. Like the 1897, it drinks much easier than it's [115] proof would suggest. At $60, I think it's a little over priced, but then most of the new stuff is these days.

Highly recommended!
RandyG

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight