Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:45 pm

nothing like moving to a new home to make you realize the size of your 'bunker". while small in relative terms, 75+ bottles for someone like me is a sizable stash. most of them are things i liked enough to stash while they were available, the others were gifts. no one turns down free bourbon, right?

finished off the KC rye tonight. while i did like it, I didnt think enough of it to buy more on my own. a sizeable step up from Overholt (what isnt?), but too bourbony to consider it a rye, since Ive been accustomed to the rye of MGP/Old Scout style.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Mike » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Squire wrote:Sometimes I think our fellow enthusiasts seek new over tried and true. A solid product at a decent price just seems too common to comment but there are hyped NDP labels out there that can only aspire to reach what WT does everyday.

You nailed me, Squire, but maybe not so much as I once did. There are,as you suggest, some 'gimmick' bourbons out there and I am a bit more reluctant to try new labels for that reason. You are certainly right about WT bourbons........ none are disappointments in my experience.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:53 am

took the remnants of a bottle of HW double rye to a friends house tonight to share with him/finish it off. He'd never had any MGP rye before, and immediately commented "its like pickles and pine". I never got the pickle reference to MGP rye, but I do strongly get the pine/evergreen note to it. not his thing, so I finished it off myself while he got out some Rowans Creek for himself. to each his own, right?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:36 am

Mike wrote:
Squire wrote:Sometimes I think our fellow enthusiasts seek new over tried and true. A solid product at a decent price just seems too common to comment but there are hyped NDP labels out there that can only aspire to reach what WT does everyday.

You nailed me, Squire, but maybe not so much as I once did. There are,as you suggest, some 'gimmick' bourbons out there and I am a bit more reluctant to try new labels for that reason. You are certainly right about WT bourbons........ none are disappointments in my experience.

I'm not the biggest Wild Turkey fan in general but I agree the quality is above a LOT of what's out there, even some of the newer ones at higher price points. The new ones seem to be a bit of a cash grab at the bourbon craze. Out of the Wild Turkey stuff, Rare Breed is one I really really like. Maybe someone can comment as to maybe why I like it compared to others (Russell's Single Barrel, WT101, and Kentucky Spirit)?

For me tonight it's: Bowman Brothers Small Batch, with an opening taste of Michter's Barrel Strength Rye (really like this one, although it's 108 proof so maybe not the barrel-level proof people normally think of).
fenderbender4

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 pm

after a self-imposed 10 day bourbon moratorium, I resumed with HHBIB6 and Dickel 9/ 103 proof. both tasted even better than before.

love the one youre with!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:44 am

Just finished off a Four Roses 2012 Ltd. Ed. Small Batch. Hated to see it go but loved the journey!
RandyG

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:04 am

RandyG wrote:Just finished off a Four Roses 2012 Ltd. Ed. Small Batch. Hated to see it go but loved the journey!

Man, I'd love to get my hands on a bottle of any of the Ltd. Edition Four Roses. I've had the single barrel and really liked it. Especially at the Total Wine price.
fenderbender4

Unread postby Squire » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Spring is here, think I'll have some Old Grand Dad.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:42 pm

mckenna 10 bib.......if ec12 going NAS makes it lean in this direction, it will be a welcome change.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:06 pm

I have had both good and bad bottles of McKenna. When they are good, they're very good. The bad ones are terrible. The last time we were at Heaven Hill, we rejected all 10 barrels of McKenna. They were not happy. But, shit happens.
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby fishnbowljoe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:I have had both good and bad bottles of McKenna. When they are good, they're very good. The bad ones are terrible. The last time we were at Heaven Hill, we rejected all 10 barrels of McKenna. They were not happy. But, shit happens.

I kinda agree with Joe here. I've only had three bottles of McKenna. All were purchased at different times and places. None of the three were anything to write home about. Two pretty much sucked, and the other one was just okay. Just sayin'. I haven't bothered with purchasing any more.
"The only bad bourbon, is the one you didn't have."

Please drink responsibly
fishnbowljoe

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:35 pm

enjoying some mckenna bib myself right now. its a very good bottle, and it was bottled at 12 years old. Good enough I went back and bought a spare of the same barrel. Still not my favorite whiskey, but a solid performer at $28 no matter how you look at it. Its just a smoother, more refined HH6BIB as far as Im concerned, and I already like HH6BIB.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:20 am

Just opened my first bottle of McKenna. Wasn't impressed at first but it grew on me. I doubt I will buy another though.
RandyG

Unread postby fenderbender4 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:37 pm

RandyG wrote:Just opened my first bottle of McKenna. Wasn't impressed at first but it grew on me. I doubt I will buy another though.

I'm sort of mixed on McKenna. It's not my favorite but I find it impressive given it's price point ($20 at some places), for BIB and 10 years. On the other hand, I sometimes found it a little abrasive but overall better than many others at that price.

I'm taking a break tonight but I did pick up something old (Rhetoric 21, yeah I know, I was curious and found it at more/less MSRP) and something new, Breckenridge.
fenderbender4

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

Had a glass of bourbon barrel stout (beer) jacked with splash of Wild Turkey 101. Nice!
Birdo

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight